Chapter Twenty-Seven

Ella's POV

It had been a week since I saw Brice and Autumn and tomorrow is the funeral. I had been staying in Jaxon's room and it has been quiet refreshing frankly. He wanted to come to the funeral however I convinced him not to. I know it would cause a very tense environment and I wanted to be able to have a peaceful environment to see my fiance off. Jaxon entering the room brought me out of my thoughts. He had a concerned look on his face when he entered. I raise my eyebrow as if to say what's up.

"Are you sure you want to go alone? You know I can go right?" He sounds like a worried husband.

"Trust me I'll be fine. The boys will be with me and I'll be back the next day." He looks at me with worry still. I open my arms up and he rushes into them. Over the week we have gotten astronomically closer. I can't see myself with him yet because I feel like I'd be betraying Hunter however maybe eventually when I'm finally in the right headset.

"When are you leaving?" he murmurs.

"At 3:30, giving me two ish hours to pack." I stand up and move toward the closet.

Grabbing a suitcase I begin to load up the clothes I could need for the trip. It was easy to fit all I needed in the bag because it was two days plus my pj's. I see Jaxon slip something into my bag while I'm packing my toiletries but I disregard it. My suitcase is packed and I have about thirty minutes to spare. I had already checked up on the boys to make sure they were prepared so I could relax for the time being. I flop on the bed and hear Jaxon enter the room yet again. He sits next to me and starts to rub my back. I can tell he wants to say something but is holding back.

"Spit it out Jaxon," I grumble out.

"You're gonna come back right? You're not gonna leave me again?" He sounds so sad and heartbroken. I sit up and place my hand on his cheek.

"I'm coming back. I'm not gonna leave again. But I need to ask what doctor did you use to get that stick removed from so far up your ass?" He lets out a loud chuckle.

"I realized how much of a dick I was and realized if I ever had a chance at getting you to actually like me then I would have to change. Please Ella give me another shot? I missed you so fucking much that nine months you were gone please, Ella, please!" He fades into a whisper in the end.

"I will, I promise I will but I need a little more time. Hunter just passed and I haven't gotten over it yet. Please just a little more time?" I feel myself about to break down. He nods at me and I sigh in relief. I collapse into his arms. Brice yells at me to come down so we can go. I hear Jaxon sigh but stands up none the less. We head down together and I head to the car with Brice and the boys.

--- The Next Day ---

I wake up bright and early and begin to prepare for the funeral. I put on my black knee-length dress. It is very conservative with a boat neck line and full length sleeves. I pair it with a pair of four inch heels and some modest jewelry including my engagement ring. The boys knock on my door and when I open it I am greeted by them in their ceremonial blues. I feel myself begin to tear up but blink them away.

"You ready to go Arty?" Brice asks. I can tell it's difficult for him as well. I nod and we get on our way. Hunters CO(Commanding Officer) gave the eulogy and opened it up to speeches after. Brice nudged me and I stood up.

"As many of you know Hunter and I got engaged a little while ago. The time I was allowed to spend with him were some of the best days that I have experienced. I'm so happy that I was able to meet him and he introduced me to some of the best people I've had the privilege of knowing. As cliche as it sounds he wouldn't want us to sit here mourning, he would want us to move on and enjoy the time we have on this Earth. Thank you." I step down from the podium and let everyone have their speeches.

When it was time to lower the casket into the ground tears began to stream down my face. Brice pulls me into a side hug and I lean in to the hug. I jump slightly when the guns fire. The ceremony ends and we all go back to the hotel. I just want to go home. The funeral tired me out and I feel as if it is time to start moving on. Maybe it is finally the time to open up and allow myself to be me.