Chapter 34: Nicolette

Grabbing Savage's leash I call him over as I sit down in the chair to put it on him. I look down at my Fitbit to check the time - 6:30 am. Deshawn hasn't made it home from work yet. "Well I'll see him when I get back," I think to myself.

Heading down the street to the park - on a walk that used to take me less than 10 minutes, now takes 15 minutes or more, but Savage is a trooper. He walks slow with me with no complaints. When we make it there I see the familiar black truck parked. Walking toward the truck, I see Logan stretching.

"Morning," I greet him as I walk up.

Turning around he has his famous smile on display. "Morning to you," he walks up and hugs me. Inhaling his smell that's all him, brings back so many memories that I have tried to forget. "I'm surprised to see your out here." He says, stepping back.

"Well, I still have to walk Savage." I hold up the leash. Savage comes over and sits on my feet. "I usually come out here later but I didn't sleep well last night so I decided to get on out this morning."

I watch as his eyes roam over me. I feel a little self-conscious just standing here. "Well, you look great."

"Thanks, I wish I could say I feel great."

He's just smiling at me like I just said something awesome. I look away when I hear a car pulling up behind me.

"How many months are you now?"

"29 weeks...7 months." He just stares and smiles.

"So are you finished with the call center?"

"No." He shakes his head as he rubs the back of his head. "We got about another eight weeks of work. We ran into a lot of problems so it's taking us the full ten months to finish but the place looks good you should come by and see it."

"Ok." I cock my head to the side "I would love that," I say.

"Ok baby I'm here."

Twisting around, I see the girl from the party walking up. "Sorry it took me so long," she says, standing on her tiptoes to kiss him on his cheek.

I look away not wanting to feel like I'm intruding on an intimate moment.

"Nicolette you remember Amber."

"Yes, it's nice seeing you again. You look like you about to pop is it good for you to be out here?"

Glancing from her to Logan then back to her, I nod. "Something like that."

"How many months are?... You're huge."

"Amber!" Logan snaps out her name.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean it that way."

Dismissing her words I wave her off. "It's ok - I get it all the time. I guess people are not used to seeing a woman caring two babies," I say, shrugging.

"Two babies?" Logan smile brightens. "That's incredible."

"Thanks." I smile back at him.

"Well ok. Come on baby lets get this run out the way because I can think of so many better ways to spend our morning." Amber rubs on his arms. Logan adverts his eyes from me to her and then nods. "Nicole is it? I would ask for you to come and join us but that can't be good for the babies."

"Thanks, but we're just going over to the dog park, but thanks for considering me," I say, turning not even saying goodbye to Logan. I walk as fast as I can.

Bending down I whisper to Savage that he's only getting twenty minutes because I didn't want to be here when they get back.

                                               🐉