Chapter 31: Nicolette

"Deshawn my appointment is at 1 pm so just come get me on my lunch break at 12." I'm sitting at my desk looking over some documents already feeling the effects of the day. I wish I could just go and get back in the bed and it's just 9 am.

"Ok. How did the interview go? Do you think you have a good chance of getting the job?" I ask Deshawn over the phone. He had a job interview with the city's sanitation department this morning. "I know they are interviewing other people but sometimes you can kind of tell if they really liked you." I smile to myself. "I'm just excited so stop raining on my parade."

Opening up my draw I grab some crackers. I'm ten weeks today and I must admit being pregnant has been the worst. I have some of the worst morning sicknesses at all times if the day. Then I have to keep something with me at all times to spit into - which is the most disgusting thing in the world. I'm always tired and let's not talk about me developing lactose intolerant now. So on top of all these issues, we have to add gas to the list. Deshawn thinks me farting is the funniest thing.

"Ok. Well, I will see you later."

Needing to pee I head to the bathroom. I went to the doctor once before with Nicole. This will be the first Deshawn is going and also the first time we should hear the baby. I'm so excited.

Walking out the bathroom I see Kristy waving me over. I walk to her desk and lean against it.

"Phillip and I have decided to move in together in two months when his lease is up." I smile while doing a little celebratory dance. "I was thinking we can do some kind of move-in party. What do you think?"

"That sounds fun. Will there be games?"

"I didn't even think of anything like that. Let me put that down for ideas." She types something on her phone. "What else do you think?" She asks.

"Food, Drinks, Music, and games is all you need."

"Good. You should totally put this together." She raises up both eyebrows and presses her palms together as in pray.

"Me." I whine "Why me?"

"Because you love me and your good at putting things together."

"I think you're getting me mixed up with Nicole, but I will help you."

"Ok, I will take that." Her phone rings and she answers. I gesture to her I'm going back to my office.

                                      🐉

"Nicolette Johnson," the nurse calls my name.

"Good evening Nicolette how are you doing?"

"I'm fine, and you?" I ask Sheila. She's been a nurse here since before I started coming here as a teenager.

She looks at Deshawn and frowns before adverting her eyes back to her papers.

"Ok we need a urine sample from you first, then we will get you in a room." Sheila hands me a cup and a wipe. I give Deshawn and her a glance right before turning into the bathroom.

When we get in the examining room. I sit on the table handing Deshawn my purse. He's been quiet since we got here.

"Did you know Sheila?" I ask once she leaves the room.

Deshawn looks up from his phone with a questioning stare. "Who is Sheila?" He scrunches his face in confusion.

"The nurse she gave you a look - like maybe she knew you?"

"Nicolette...don't start this. I don't know that woman. Never seen that bitch before."

Giving him a long skeptical look I nod. "Ok."

"Knock knock," Sheila says walking in with Dr. Edison. He walks in with the brightest smile on his face like always. He's been Nicole and my doctor since we were teenagers. We both had very heavy cycles and had to get put on birth control early. 

"Good morning Nicolette," he says before his smile drops when he spots Deshawn. He quickly pastes his smile back on his face and extends his hand. "Hi, I'm Dr. Edison."

"Dr. Edison this is my husband Deshawn."

Deshawn stands and shakes the doctor's hand nodding and quickly sits with his head down. I'm watching this scene with a frown on my face.

"So how are you feeling today?" Dr. Edison ask.

"Umm...I'm...a little tired but...um - I'm fine," I say still trying to figure out what in the fuck is going on here.

"Great everything looks good you lost a little weight but that's normal in some pregnancy. We are just going to listen to the baby today."

I lay back on the table -  mind still racing with everyone's reactions to each other. Pulling my shirt up I watch as Dr. Edison squirt a little gel on the bottom of my stomach and place the instrument on my stomach. It takes a minute but he finally finds the heartbeat. I instantly feel happiness take over my whole body. I feel something wet on my face and realize I'm crying. I can't believe that's my baby I hear. I remember how happy Nicole was when we first heard Amaya's heartbeat.

"Sounds good," he says before a frown crosses his face. He moves the Doppler around again. "We are going to do a quick ultrasound before you go today."

Fear and worry consume me at his words. "Is something wrong," I ask sitting up quickly.

"No. Nothing is wrong I just want to take a look. Don't get yourself all worried." He states trying to reassure me. I look over at Deshawn who is now standing.

"So if nothing is wrong why are we getting an ultrasound?" Deshawn asks the question I was too scared to ask.

"I think I heard something, but I just want to take a look before I talk with you about it." He's smiling. "I'm going to get them to squeeze you in then you will come back here."

Deshawn and I both stare at each other before nodding at the doctor.

After about fifteen minutes of Deshawn rubbing my arms trying to reassure my overactive mind - we are in the ultrasound room.

I'm laying on the table as the tech is setting everything up. Deshawn is standing next to me holding my hand. The tech squeezes some gel on my stomach before moving the probe around on my stomach. She not talking just taking pictures while moving the probe up, down, and side to side on my stomach.

I'm biting my lip as I stare at the screen not seeing shit but the gray static-filled screen.

"Is something wrong?" Deshawn ask.

"No everything looks good, " she replies not even glancing at us. Deshawn squeezes my hand but I won't feel reassurance until I figure out what this is all about.

After she finishes taking several screenshots we head back to the examining room - where we are now watching Dr. Edison is looking over the pictures.

"Ok. I have good news," He states with a smile on his face. " You're pregnant with twins."

"Twins?" I ask grabbing my chest and breathing out a relieved breath. "I can deal with that. I thought something was seriously wrong." I smile. "You had me so scared."

I start laughing looking over at Deshawn who is smiling too.

"Why didn't they see that on the first ultrasound?" I ask.

"The second baby is slightly smaller letting us know that it implanted days after the first baby so it would not have shown on the ultrasound." He says.

"I don't understand," I say.

"Well, it can take up to 6 days for an egg and sperm to meet and another couple of days to implant. Most likely your body released two eggs at different times."

I nod understanding a little but not much. "So will that change my due date?"

"No nothing will change. You will need to increase calories for two babies and get a little more rest in the and upcoming months, but everything looks great. I will see you in four weeks. Don't forget to continue taking your iron and prenatal vitamins."

Smiling from ear to ear both Deshawn and I say, "ok".

Looking over to Deshawn I jump off the examining table and hug him tight to me.