Chapter 20: Nicolette

"So what did you do this weekend?"

"Nothing. Phillip and I took the boys to the zoo. It was so damn hot out there, but the boys seemed to enjoy it. It doesn't feel like its fall at all," Kristy says shuffling around some papers on her desk. "What did you do this weekend?"

"Nothing much helped Nicole with her yard sale...that's about it." I'm leaning on her desk. I don't say anything about going riding with Logan because I'm not really sure what to say anyway.

"Have you talked to Deshawn?" She whispers the question. Looking around the sitting area I check to see if someone has come out.

Shaking my head I look down at my chipped nail polish and start peeling it off. I look back up at her and see the concern etched on her face. "No." Sighing I don't say more because I really don't want to get into this right now. I'm still processing the fact that I'm separated from my husband. "He came by when I was gone Saturday and changed clothes but I haven't seen or talked to him since he left."

Kristy watches me with concern as she contemplates her next move. Once she decides her course of action she rushes around her desk and hugs me. "Honey it's going to be alright. You know Deshawn has always been a spoiled ass. It's no telling what that momma of his has been saying to him." She steps back and gives me a weak smile.

Giving her a small smile back I play her word over in my mind. "It's no telling what his momma been saying." I start laughing to myself because I - can imagine what she's been saying.

"What?" She's giving me a concerned confused look.

"I bet she's over there getting the divorce papers ready as we speak while praising the Lord for this blessing." Putting my hand over my mouth I try to cover up my laughs. "She's probably throwing a congratulatory party for Deshawn for getting rid of...what's her favorite words for me that wife of yours."

Kristy starts laughing too because we both know how much his mom hates me. Why - we could never figure that out.

"You know-" Kristy is suddenly cut off from what she is about to say when her desk phone rings. She rushes back around her desk to answers it.

As I'm standing here pondering over Deshawn's crazy momma and some of the things she's probably saying; I see Logan, Phillip, and another guy getting off the elevator. I watch all of them talking as they make their way over here.

Starting to feel a little nervous the closer they get I rub my hands down my pants. I know my nervousness is over the fact that I will most likely have to talk to Logan and I'm really not sure what to say to him. Looking over at Kristy I see she has the cheesiest smile on her round face.

"Good afternoon ladies," Phillip says smiling down at Kristy as they all stop in front of her desk.

Phillip is a nice-looking guy. He kind of favor Tyson Chandler from the Houston Rockets, but he's a little slimmer, his beard is neater, and he's not as tall. Phillips is taller than Logan I would estimate maybe about 6'4.

Everybody gives their collective greetings.

"Well you both know Logan already, but this short guy right here is Fred," Phillis says as we all laugh a little at his comment.

Fred has that all American white boy look. He's about 5'10 with a swimmers build. Thin nose, thin lips, cleft chin, and his beard and mustache is close-shaven. He has sea blue eyes that I'm sure has helped get him laid a few times.

"Nice to meet you ladies," Fred says with a sneaky smile on his face. He walks closer to me and grabs my hand. "And what is your name?"

I don't pull my hand back but I know I have a wry expression on my face. "Nicolette," I respond trying to paste a smile on my face. He's still holding onto my hand rubbing my knuckles with his thumb.