Chapter 21: Logan

"Kristy and Nicolette are going to some party Saturday and they want me to come." I wasn't really listening to Phillip but hearing Nicolette's name pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Party?" I ask.

"Yeah, dude. Have you not been listening? I asked if you wanted to go to a party tomorrow night."

I hadn't been listening. I was thinking about the phone call I had with my dad this morning.

"Sorry I had something else on my mind, but sure I'll go to the party."

"Good. Kristy said it's one of their childhood friend's birthday party and she was really ratchet. I didn't want to go alone in case something pops off."

"Pops off?" I give him a quizzical look because I'm so confused. "Where the hell are we going?"

"Dude...you have not been listening to me. What's on your mind?" He stops what he's doing and turns to me.

I rub my hands down my neck. "My dad called and wants me to have dinner with him, Amber, and her father Sunday. I told him I had plans but he said to break them and to be at his house." I let out an exasperated sigh. "You know my dad really likes Amber and thinks she will be an excellent wife for me."

"Damn. That's fucked up. Amber knows how to play rough. To get your dad involved is even low for her," he says giving me a sympathetic look.

"Right. I don't really want to go but I know it would piss my dad off, and you know how much I really want him to pass the company down to me." I sigh. "...but where is this party that you may need back up at?"

"It's at the Embassy. She said her friend got her and Nicolette some rooms. So you know I'm going." He's standing on the other side of the room giving me a wolfish grin.

I turn and laugh. "Did you invite Fred?"

"No. I was going to let you decide if you wanted him to come because of the whole Nicolette thing."

I freeze at his words. I haven't told anybody about our little talks or our bike ride. I hadn't even talked to her since I dropped her off Saturday night.

"What are you talking about?" I ask him.

"Dude, don't even try to act like you haven't been trying to get at that girl. I saw you the other day smiling at her like she hung the damn moon." He's giving me a knowing smile "...plus Kristy told me y'all went to lunch and you took her for a ride on your motorcycle."

"She's cool but I think she may have a man or something." I'm fishing to see what he knows.

"I'm not really sure. I have heard Kristy talking to her about some dude but what I can gather they broke up." He shrugs

That makes me a little excited. I didn't really want to be trying to push up on another man woman.

"When was the last time you talked to her?"

"The other day when we stopped at Kristy's desk going to lunch."

"That's what up." He nods his head. "Well, she seems nice to me. Nothing like that overbearing Amber." He looks up with a sour-faced expression. "....and she will be at this party. That will give you a chance to talk with her and see what's up."

"Talk with who?" Fred asks walking in the conference room.

"Nobody you know," I reply.

"Oh, so we keeping secrets now." He gives us a knowing look.

Phillip looks from Fred and then to me before shrugging.

"We are going to a party with Kristy and Nicolette." I go ahead and tell him so he won't feel as if we left him out.