Chapter 46: Deshawn

"I think he should come back with me. He can work at my company and stay in the pool house," My dad says to my mom. He's standing at the foot of my hospital bed with his arms crossed glaring at her.

My dad can be a very intimidating man when he needs to be. He owns his own accounting firm and does really well for himself. My father is big on family and being a good husband and a good father When Nicolette graduated from college he offered her a job at his firm. She was really excited and wanted to take it, but my mom didn't want me to go - like now.

"He needs to stay here with his kids." She rolls her eyes. "He has been doing just fine here. He just made a few wrong choices, but I know he will do better now."

"Doing fine?" My dad throws back his head and lets out the very loud humorless laugh. "Are you kidding me?" He asks cutting off the laughter quick and scowls at my mother. "He was just shot because he was trying to sell drugs. He was selling drugs because he won't work. So how is that fine?" My dad asks her and then waits for an answer. See this is why they don't get along. "And let's not mentioned the shit show I walked in on yesterday with his wife and his two other kids' mother. So...I'm the only person that sees something wrong with this because this doesn't seem fine to me."

"Look Deshawn is a grown-ass man and if he doesn't want to go with you then he shouldn't be made to go."

"The hell he doesn't. I'm not leaving my son here to get killed because he momma goes along with all his bullshit."

"I do not go along with anything," my mom shouts.

"Really where did you think he was getting money from. And why were you helping keep his babies a secret...even from me? Deshawn talks to me and has been to my house and at no point did my son say to me - I got a son. You know why?" He steps closer to her. "....because he knows I'm not for that bullshit."

Just then the door opens and two uniformed police officers walk in with an older white man and a younger white man with plain clothes. Looking over to parents I can see they are dreading this as much as me.

"Good morning, I'm Chief of Police Paul Newman and this is Agent Randall Baker with the FBI. We were hoping you were feeling up to speaking with us?"

I nod. "Yes, I can speak to you," I reply wanting to get this over with.

"Well before we get started first we will need to read you - your Miranda rights, " He says right before one of the uniformed officers read me my rights.

"Is he under arrest?" my dad asked while I'm sitting here trying to figure out why the FBI is here.

"Well that's all on Deshawn," the FBI agent says as the uniformed officer leaves.

The door opens again and Spook walks in. I furrow my brow not understanding why he's here.

"Good evening," he says with a blank expression on his face. "I'm Agent DaMichael Baird with the FBI." He shakes my dad's hand.

Then the voice I kept hearing starts making sense. "You were there when I got shot," I shout.

"Yes. I was there."

"So you didn't stop that man from shooting him?" My mom asks glaring at him.

"I made it just in time," he says smirking.

"What do you want with Deshawn if he's not being arrested?" My dad asks.

"Deshawn has been working for Chauncey Davenport for over a year now. I have more than enough evidence but I need you to testify."

"Testify?" I ask shaking my head. "I'm not a snitch."

Spook or whatever his name smirks. "Well, I have more than enough evidence to arrest your ass too." He steps closer to the bed. "Now you can cooperate and only get up to 5 years probation or your ass will be going to prison with Chauncey it's your choice."

I sit there and think about this, I don't want to be known as a snitch. "Maybe you should also know that last night Chauncey sent someone to your wife's house and beat her up pretty bad with your daughter in the house."

"Oh Lord," I hear my mom say.

"Beat her up? Is she alright?" I ask sitting up now as fear and angry roll through me like crashing waves.

"Yes." He smirks "Mr. Kincaid had got there in time and broke the man's back and shattered his leg with a pipe."

I turn my head biting my lip in angry thinking of that damn white boy having to save her because of me.

"We have Chauncey in custody but we need people to testify to put his ass away for along time." He just stares at me. Everyone is actually waiting for my response. "So what is it going to be Burb - are you going to protect your family?"

I huff out a breath. "I will testify."

"Great." He smiles. "One more thing we arrested Tabatha Davenport also."

"Tabatha?" I ask.

"Yes, we arrested Tabatha. On attempted murder, attempted rape and kidnap." He looks back at the agent behind him before looking back at me. "She drugged your wife I believe the night she made Ms. Bella." He smirks again and raises an eyebrow. I know he's trying to get a reaction now. "She also set it up for you to be shot and also gave your address to Chauncey so he could take your wife."

My dad looks at me with a what the fuck look as my mom holds her chest.

I playing all this through my head when a feeling of dread comes over me. "Where's my son?"

"I drove him to Nicolette right before I got here."

"Nicolette has him?"

"Yes. I wanted to explain everything that was going on to her, especially since Mr. Kincaid came in concerned about her and the girls. She did agree to keep him with her until you get out of the hospital."

"I can go over there and get him," my mom says.

"No" I shake my head carefully not to move my neck too much. "I will get him," I tell my mom.

"I will need you to come down when you are released and give a statement with Chief Newman," Spook says.

"Agent Baird, I want Deshawn to come and live with me is there any way that can happen?" My dad asks.

"Yes, as long as he gets that cleared with his probation officer here, and give us a valid address I don't see that being a problem." Spook looks back at me. "You have beautiful kids. I hope this is a lesson learned and you get yourself together for them," He says before turning and walking out with everybody following.

"That's it you are moving with me. If we need to take KJ that's what we will do. You can come and see Octavia whenever you need to." My dad looks directly at my mom. "...but his ass is coming home with me," he says then walks out the door.

I lay back thinking of everything that went on as my mom starts silently crying. I reach over and pat her hand. "Mom it's going to be alright I promise I will come and visit as much as possible," I say to reassure her as I think of ways to try to convince Nicolette to come with me.