Chapter 1 :Nicolette

You have reached a voicemail that has not been set up.

"WHY ISN'T HE ANSWERING HIS GOT DAMN PHONE!" I scream out into the room to no one. "Ugh!" I am so pissed at Deshawn's stupid ass. If he was to fucking walk through that door right now I would most definitely go to jail. I look down at my phone checking the time. I have thirty minutes to get to work. I would hate to call my dad or brother because they would ask me all kinds of questions that I'm really not in the mood for this morning. Then can't call my mom or sister because they have to be at work at 7:30 since they are both teachers. I decided to just call my best friend in hopes that she can grab me after she drops her boys off at school.

"Hey," Kristy answers in that sing-song voice - letting me know she is very happy.

"What has you so happy this early in the morning?"

"I had my first date last night with this guy and it went really well." She squeals through the phone damn near putting out my eardrum. Removing the phone from my ear I stare at it as I small grin. "I have been dying to get to work to tell you all about it." I can tell she is smiling one of those goofy smiles through the phone.

"Oh, you did. You should have called me last night wanch so you could've told me about your little date when you got home." I whine while also smiling because I'm so happy for her.

Kristy has had a really rough time these last two years after her kid's dad and boyfriend, Eric, got shot and killed. He was hosting an album release party for an up and coming rapper at this club; when this drunk guy thought he was trying to get at his girl. The man shot him twice in the chest right in front of everyone. Apparently, she cheated a lot and the guy had enough.

This news about her great date helps me feel a little better, from the Deshawn didn't come home again bullshit. "...but I was calling hoping you could grab me because this dumb ass dude didn't come home last night again, and he's not answering his phone," I huff out in an aggravated tone.

"I'm sorry. I wanted to call you last night but once I got home I had to get the boys ready for bed since it was a school night. And yes I can grab." I hear her telling the boys to have a great day, so she must already be at school. "Girl, Deshawn is still pulling this dumb shit. He knows better. He's my boy and all but I could really fuck him up sometimes."

"Yes he is, and I have gotten so tired of this shit. I feel so fucking stupid for steady putting up with this bullshit." I sigh and look up trying to blink away the tears that are forming in my eyes as I chant in my head 'don't you cry this morning'. "Thanks so much, you're a lifesaver," I say waving my hand in front of my face.

"Girl you know that you don't have to thank me. You're my boo, my sister from another mister, and I will do anything for you. I will be there in like ten minutes," she tells me laughing a little at herself.

"Ok, I'll see you when you make it here. I need to finish getting my stuff together."

"Ok," I hear her say before hanging up the phone.

Once I'm off the phone with her I send Deshawn a quick text that he better be dead while sliding my feet in my favorite ballet flats. I look at myself in the mirror; I'm wearing a black pencil skirt and my yellow ruffle blouse with a bow. "You cute," I whisper to myself. I walk out of my room and head to the kitchen to grab my lunch bowl of spaghetti that I cooked last night out of the refrigerator.

Walking back to the hall I grab my coat to put on. I feel a rush of emotions flow through me making me want to burst out in one of those ugly cries. "Not today Satan," I say out loud to the empty room, "My day will not be ruined by Deshawn Johnson."

Strolling back in the kitchen I head to the back door to let my big baby in the house. I pull open the sliding back door and call for Savage to come back in. Savage is my Siberian Husky I got in high school after begging my parents for two years for one.

Savage comes barreling in the house almost knocking me down in the process. It is a must that I let him out every morning when I first wake up to run off some of his extra energy. If I don't he will tear up the whole damn house, out of boredom.

Deshawn is not a fan of my baby; one because he hates dogs and two because he keeps chewing up his shoes. I always shrug it off when he starts complaining about him because if he puts his things away Savage couldn't chew them up. I have noticed that Savage seems to only chew on Deshawn shoes when he senses that I am really pissed off at Deshawn for something.

I hear my phone beep and look down to see a text from Kristy saying she's outside. Rushing I hurry and finish putting a little water in Savage's bowl. I  grab my lunch and head to the front door. Walking out I quickly lock the door behind before walking to the car.

Once I'm in the car Kristy starts telling me about her first date with Phillip, the guy she met at work. He works for the construction company that's building the new conference room on the 2nd floor at the law office we both work at. She's the receptionist and works right at the front door, so she gets to see and meet everyone that comes and goes. I, on the other hand, work in a closed-off section on the first floor in a boring cube in accounts payable, but I'm not complaining - because I love my job.

"We went to the movies and after the movies, we went walking in the park downtown. It was so romantic." She looks over at me and gives me a school girl smile. "You know I'm a sucker for romantic gestures. We held hands and everything. I really had a great time. His conversation was on point." I watch her eye sparkle with joy as she tells me about her date with this guy. "Plus he's good looking and very tall - just like I like with big hands and feet," Kristy says with a big ass dreamy smile on her face.

I roll my eyes and laugh at my crazy friend.

"Awwww! I'm so glad you had a good time. Maybe you can finally get you some and clear out all those coochie cobwebs," I tell her. She looks over at me with her mouth twisted up trying to keep from laughing. After we both give each other knowing looks - we both burst out laughing. She pulls up to our job, with only three minutes to spare.

I know that today will be a good day.