XVI

Having become an Imperial Princess, it didn't really seem serene until she had gone around the Palace and visited the Merchant's Guild from time to time. Certainly, the title had responsibilities but for her, it brought more advantages than she would've thought. Most of the royal duties were assumed by Kouen and Koumei but now that she, too, was a child of the Empress, she had her fair share of duties as well — none of which were too over the top for a child of her age and talent. She didn't mind them for it overlapped with her duties as Head of the Heartfilia family and with her position, things that would usually require the approval of a royal were passed along quite quickly. As long as she went on doing what she usually did, she fulfilled her duties for her main responsibility was to create connections and be well-versed in the feminine arts; in other words, it wasn't much different from what she had learned and was doing now.

Given her position and being a holder of numerous titles — the two biggest ones being an Imperial Princess and the Head of the Heartfilia family — no one dared to approach her recklessly even if they wished to. One wrong move from them might not incur her wrath but might as very well incur the wrath of the other Ren family members.

~•~~•~

"Lucy dear holds the second-highest female ranking so no matter who it is, unless it's Koutoku or me or a royal member of the Reim Empire, you will not bow down your head to anyone," the Empress had pointed out during their tea time together. "Which means you don't need to force yourself to follow Kouen dear's every whim. Understand?"

Her face was dark and though she wore a smile, Lucy could sense a frightening air around her.

"U-Understood, Mother Empress," Lucy backed away.

She still hadn't gotten over the day where Kouen had taken her out for horseback riding, especially after the next day where she had woken up with a swollen bottom, causing her unable to move for the entire day.

~•~~•~

Remembering the scolding that Kouen had received that morning sent her face paling and her eyes blank. It was no wonder how she became the Empress and was able to control the ever-scheming Inner Palace for not even Koutoku or the Imperial Princes were any match to her. After the scolding, the Empress had sent Kouen to a corner of the Phoenix Palace where he was punished with kneeling while holding up several books for several hours. Never had Lucy seen someone his age be punished in such a humiliating manner. Kouen remained unfazed by it all for he had gotten used to it after being scolded so many times but to Koumei and Lucy and the other Ren children, they would never be able to. The Empress was simply too frightening.

I have to make sure not to upset her in the future, Lucy reminded herself.

She stood there in the pavilion overlooking the pond in the garden, a light cloak draped on her shoulder to keep her warm from the chilling, incoming autumn weather. Throwing small amounts of fish feed into the pond, the koi swiftly swam up and nibbled on the feed before swimming away. Lucy softened her eyes as she gazed upon them before setting the bowl of feed back down onto the tray that the maid held. Waving a hand, the maidservants bowed and left as they stood outside the lakeside pavilion.

"They're a lively bunch," Lucy remarked.

"Indeed," Sebas stood by her side.

"They sure eat well," Lucy noted as they continued to poke their mouths at the surface of the water for any remaining food.

"Besides eating and swimming, there's not much for them to do," Sebas said.

"Quite similar to me right now," she heaved a silent sigh.