For the past week since her induction as the new Head, she had been secretly staying up late and completing all the work that needed to be done in the Archive. To her, it was truly a convenient space due to the difference in time flow and she had stayed there for several days before Kaede stopped her for she was pushing herself to the brink of exhaustion. If it weren't for him and Sebas, she would've probably collapsed during the first few days and remembering their agonized expressions, she stared at the table before her.

She had worried them. More than she should have.

But, she couldn't help it. Closing her eyes, she listened to the chirping of the birds and cool, late summer breeze as the pain inside her head still lingered. She wanted to take her mind off of the gaping wound in her heart and away from the pain that continuously pricked at her. She needed to be strong as the Head of the Heartfilia family and she couldn't afford to show a single weakness. She was not allowed to cry nor show her grievances and the only way she could do that was to bury herself in her work. But now that there was nothing to do, she couldn't even show the emotions she wanted to show for she had locked it all away and, along the way, she had come to lose the key to it all.

Slowly closing her eyes, the scroll in her hand shifted slightly out of her grasp as the beads of her hairpins tinkled against one another. Her lashes soon shrouded her brown orbs as the rukh gently fluttered by, the only sound heard in the vast, empty library being her soft breathing as she was swept into her unconsciousness. How tranquil and mystical she looked as she sat there sleeping, her legs positioned to the side and covered by her silk robes and shawl. Underneath the sunlight, the faint outline of wings appeared once more as it gave a gentle flap.

Spears shifted in greeting and a footstep was heard in the library as grand robes dragged against the floor. Walking in, he made his way over to where she slept, his maroon crimson hair shifting slightly as he stood there, watching her. Morning court had ended a while ago and knowing that the others were still busy with their lessons and Lucy was left to herself, he knew he would find her here.

Even though there's nothing more for you to do, you still choose to endorse yourself in state affairs, he remarked with furrowed brows as he saw the stack of scrolls relating to the Kou Empire and other foreign countries she had gone through. Even though there's simply no need for you to.

There stood none other than Ren Kouen, the First Imperial Prince of the Kou Empire. With his usual stern, cold face, he looked everything but welcoming and others couldn't help but flinch at his presence even when he was not in their line of sight. But, in front of Lucy, the warmth and affection in his eyes were undeniable. Only in front of her would he show such a look; a look that he hid skillfully from his siblings and others.

The scroll slid from her hands and before it could make a rackety thud on the floor, Kouen caught it. Straightening himself, he placed the scroll softly on the heap of other scrolls stacked on the table. Glancing at her, he unconsciously said her name.

"Lucy."

Her name naturally escaped his lips and by now, he had become used to being unaware of his actions when it came to her. Reaching out a hand, he brushed the few locks of her bangs, which hadn't been swept up, to the side. His finger lingered there as it brushed against her cheek and down to her soft, luscious lips. His gaze softened as a faint spark flickered in those maroon orbs. Parting her lips slightly, Lucy knitted her eyebrows together, creating a faint knot at her temple.

"Father," she spoke and Kouen widened his eyes, taking his hand away. "Mother..."

A tear rolled down her face as she murmured in her sleep. Once again, she was having dreams about them and seeing her suffer so, he pulled his lips into a tight frown and balled his hands into fists by his side. A mixture of sorrow and agony washed over his face as he reached over to wipe the tear from her face.