Chapter nine.

𝑹𝒆𝒆𝒔𝒆'𝒔 𝒑.𝒐.𝒗

"I shouldn't be gone too long," I said hugging Ganny, then stood to the side so Layla could say her goodbyes.

"Layla don't forget to call me when you're on your way back. I don't want to lock the doors out of habit and leave you locked out while I sleep heavily upstairs." She laughed hugging Layla. "And Layla don't forget to call sometime this week!"

"I wouldn't dare forget!" She said giving one last squeeze.

We then parted ways from Ganny's house and began the short trip to the car rental place. After about a twenty minute drive and a few wrong turns we finally pulled into the parking lot.

I helped her load up before she started honking the car horn. "You know, I love that new car smell. Although this car isn't technically new, just barely used." She shrugged.

"Drive safe and hurry back!"I said climbing back inside my vehicle.

"Girl YOU drive safe and don't speed!" She burst out laughing, "Seriously though, don't speed!"

From the car rental place I went home, changed into my swimsuit and headed towards my favorite beach. Driving along side the ocean with the smell of ocean breezing through the car was just what I needed to get into the right head space. It wasn't long before the Leo Corrilo Beach sign came into view. As usual the beach was fairly empty, so I planted my chair in the sand in my favorite spot. I plucked the book I was currently reading from my beach bag and began reading where I'd last left off in 'The Clearing' by Heather Davis.

I made it to the part where Henry was talking to his grandpa and his grandpa told him about how he was going to walk down the street, but Henry gave him plenty of reasons not too. It was during one of those reasons Henry gave when I felt a stinging on my face.

'THWACK'

"Oh grief, we're so sorry!" an Irish accent rang out to the side of me.

"No shot," I muttered, booting the ball past him. Recognizing his voice, I immediately felt bad. Behind him Liam and Zayn trotted behind with confused smiles on their faces. "Niall? What are you guys doing here?"

We all met in the middle forming a wonky circle, "We try to stay out of sight best as possible. One of our friends who live here told us that this beach was a hidden gem away from the public's eye. What are you up to?" Liam asked.

"My Ganny has brought me here since I was a child, I've kept coming ever since because it's so peaceful" I explained, "I never thought I'd see you guys again though. Sorry for kicking your ball out of the way," I apologized sheepishly.

"Sorry for ringing your skull with it," Niall smiled, patting my shoulder. "Now we're even!"

I looked over to Zayn who hadn't said anything yet. "Hey Zayn," He returned a smile but said nothing, emanating a different vibe than the last time we met. He's probably just as shocked, and never intended on actually seeing one another again. "Well if you guys don't mind, I'm gonna get back to reading my book."  I said heading toward my chair.

"I don't mind," Niall replied, following to my chair and plopped back down next to me.

"Neither do I," Liam said joined Niall next to me. Meanwhile Zayn headed off towards the shoreline leaving us behind.

"Watcha reading?" Liam asked leaning over trying to get a glimpse of the title.

"In the Clearing," I answered, turning the book's cover towards him.