Chapter three.

☽ 𝑹𝒆𝒆𝒔𝒆'𝒔 𝒑.𝒐.𝒗 ☾

I knew the boys played soccer and that they were basically born with a knack for it, and yet they still surpassed the expectations I held for them. However, Layla and I were able to hold our own just fine, I'm sure we weren't what they were expecting either. Niall and Louis were our better opponents, Harry a strong third. Eventually we all called for a break where we all flocked to the grass for a breather. Louis' team was up by one, and he was relishing in the glory. However that would be short lived because Layla and I had our special move reserved, making the win all the more savory.

My cotton mouth grew increasingly dry and I sucked in deep breaths of air, "I'm going to get some water bottles from the car, anyone else want one?" Everyone who seemed to be in their own bubble practicing their breathing, perked up instantly and nodded. "Bet, I'll be back."

"I'll help you," Zayn popped up from the ground to join my side. I glanced to Layla who to no avail was making eyes at me. I widened my eyes, mentally telling her to stop being so obvious. She seemed to have gotten the message because her attention was directed back to Liam, whose eyes never left her.

"Thank you," I offered him a smile. My car was about a minutes walk from our location on the field. Weirdly the park was just as vacant as when we had first arrived, with a few couples spaced out here and there who paid no mind to our competitive soccer game. While boomers would love to blame it on the technology and wifi, it was more likely to be desolate due the current extreme temperature. The California heat was no joke, most people avoid it and come out when it's a little cooler. I am no stranger to hunkering down in my air conditioned room with popsicle's on deck, nonetheless I was on vacation and successfully making the best of this sweltering heat.

"So you're pretty good at futbol," He said striking up conversation.

I chuckled, I had forgotten that's what they called soccer that everywhere else except in America. "Thanks, Layla and I played from children until the end of high school."

"So do you go to university or about to leave for uni?" Zayn asked as we neared my car.

"All I know is that eventually I'll go to college, but I've decided to take a gap year and see where that takes me. I don't have an inkling about what I want my career to be, but I do know I've wanted to travel as many places as possible since I was a child. So why not start there you know?" I shrugged.

He nodded, " I think that's not only brilliant, but clever. Why spend a lot of money at school when you aren't even sure what it is you want to spend money on. Cheers to ya, and the world has a lot to offer. It's truly life changing."

As we walked the gap between us slowly closed until we were a few inches from shoulder kissing, partially due to the fact I couldn't walk in a straight line to save my life. But apparently Zayn had the same issue as I, leaving our shoulders about to graze one another. "Ahhh that's right, you have seen a lot of the world, What's it like?"

He thought about my question for a moment, "You know to be out of your comfort zone, or your comfort country to say, is thrilling. You get glimpses into the everyday lives of people you'll likely never see again, their customs, beliefs. You see places you thought you'd only ever hear about it or see on a screen. Being there, wherever you go whether it be overseas or to a city you've never been to, it's ethereal."

"You're making me crave traveling even more with your poetic word usage," The rest of my reply was interrupted when I thought I'd seen my ex jogging towards us. It was only a brief moment of confusion and not being able to see clearly, yet that's all it took for me to stop dead in my tracks.