I laughed, somewhat in relief. "Well, I think I would have to agree with you."

  "Sounds like a deal."

  And thus began the friendship of Lulu and me.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

    Granted, I had a friend. But, as if my life couldn't get any worse, guess who was still at my house when I got home? Oh, yeah. None other than the infamous Liam Nelson; the jerk who was sure to ruin my life.

  I pointedly ignored his pick up and parked the barrowed Suburban in the driveway.

  "How was school?"

  Trying not to groan, I turned around to see Liam leaning against his truck, grin and all. "Worst day of my life, what d'you think?" I said, using my Napoleon Dynamite voice.

  Liam blinked, looking at me as though I'd lost my mind. Obviously he had no idea what movie I was quoting.

  "Don't you southerners ever watch TV?" I asked, exasperated. If there was one thing I couldn't stand, it was people who did not appreciate:

  1.) Music and

  2.) Movies.

   "You know what, I've got homework. See you."

  "Hey, hold on a minute."

  "Ugh. What?"
  Liam was wearing that stupid, irresistible grin. "You're not gonna 'hang out' with me?"

  I rolled my eyes. "No, I am not. I'm gonna go inside and do homework."

  "What about unpacking? You could use some help." To this, he pointed at his arm muscles.

  I tried not to laugh, but it was nearly impossible. "I mostly have everything done."

  "Mostly is still mostly."

  "Ugh. Fine! C'mon...."

  Liam followed me inside triumphantly.

  "Hey, Mom!" I called.

  Her answering hello came from her closed bedroom door. Dad was away in Nashville for work.

  I jogged up the stairs, skipping steps, like I always did. "Ta'da!" I said as I flung open my bedroom door, revealing my mess. My chestnut dresser was closest to the door, filled with my spring and summer clothes-I put all my winter stuff, along with the clothes that wouldn't fit in my dresser, in my walk in closet. Alongside a shorter wall was my white desk and computer and monitor. My mattress was set up across the room, but my headboard and everything wasn't set up.

  Liam whistled. "Wow, you cert'ly did a lot with the place...."

  "Oh shut up. Are you gonna help me or not?"

  "Yeah, I'll help ya."

  "Thank you."

  It didn't take nearly as long as I suspected it would to get the bed set up, but it did require two people to do it.

  Haha, that's what she said!

  I'm so immature.

  After we hauled the box spring and mattress on, I sat down, lovingly petting the mattress. "Ah, how I missed a bed!"

  Liam just laughed at me. "You're insane."

  "I know. Thanks for helping."

  He shrugged. All of a sudden he was different. He wasn't Friend Liam, he was Cool Liam. Cool Liam was the reason I couldn't be friends with Friend Liam. Because Cool Liam didn't care that we used to be childhood friends. No, all Cool Liam could see was I'd grown up, got hot, and was no longer a kid.