C.36

the door to the classroom were slide open revealing a light silver haired guy. he had a blank expression on his face and his hair was a bit messy. the teacher who was teaching in front stopped writing on the white board and turned to look at the guy who just made the sudden appearance.

"byun baekhyun"

"i'm sorry that i'm late. it's just.. something came up" he said not bothering to look at the teacher. his eyes went somewhere else until he met with the violet orbs.

haerin raised her head to look at the person. her face showed no emotion and baekhyun couldn't read what she was thinking. without waiting for the teacher's response he closed the door and went to his seat that was right beside her.

lucas shifted in his seat and went closer to her keeping his eyes on the guy. baekhyun didn't spare a glance at her and kept his face straight while taking out some books from his bag.

when the class ended haerin packed all her things and was about to walk away until someone stood in front of her blocking her way. she looked up and saw baekhyun staring down at her with that serious look on his face. she lifted her left eyebrow tilting her head to the side for a bit.

"hyemin, can i talk with you for a moment?" he asked. before she could answer baekhyun went to grab her wrist and drag her outside of the class. lucas wanted to follow them but it looks like something very important. his hand fell to his side as he stared at the two backs walking further away.

"baekhyun? what's wrong?" haerin asked as soon as they stopped walking. he brought her to the college's rooftop. no one was there when it was recess and he needed somewhere private.

baekhyun gulped. he put both of his hand inside his pocket and stared her. "do you really.." he stopped for a moment thinking whether he should ask it or not. she tilted her head.

"do you really have a boyfriend?" he blurted out. she was a bit taken aback by his question. her lips formed a thin line as she looked away from him. jisung came into her mind. she doesn't want to answer and he took it as a yes.

wait does this mean i'm accepting jisung as my boyfriend? her inner self thought.

"the call that day.. is that really.. you know-- uh never mind. well.. what does this boyfriend of yours looked like? is he tall? is he kind towards you?"

"why are you asking me these questions?" haerin furrowed her eyebrows looking at him straight in the eye. "he's handsome. tall. and of course he's kind towards me" she continued.

"do i have a chance?" he suddenly asked.

she pursed her lips. a light breeze brushed against her skin and a few strands of hair covered her face. she brushed it off with a soft sigh escaping her lips. baekhyun just stood there watching her every move.

"i'm not someone.. who you should fall in love with, baekhyun" she muttered. "why? is it because you had a boyfriend?"

"no" it's because i might kill you someday. sooner or later i will have to kill you. you may hate me for that. she thought in her head. baekhyun sighed and he took a step back biting his lower lip as he looked up the sky.

"is it a sin for liking someone?" he murmured but she can hear it clearly. she felt kind of guilty. "i'm sorry for taking your time" baekhyun sat down at one of the bench there.

"i'll go" she mumbled and began walking away. this time he let her. when she disappeared from his sight a slight pain came from his chest.

"what did he say? you're not hurt right?" lucas asked when he met her at the staircase. she let out a small shriek and slapped him hard on the shoulder. he winced before rubbing the place where she had slapped.

"you startled me!"

"well it's not my fault. so answer me" he mumbled. haerin shrugged not wanting to answer his question. lucas followed her from behind staring her back curiously.

"lucas! haerin! there's a cop in your college. both of you have to go" they suddenly heard winwin's voice coming from their ear piercings. she made a disgusted look when she saw a guy with a police uniform standing a few meters away questioning some students.

"yeah we saw him. what is he doing here?" haerin said turning around before grabbing lucas' arm. "i think they know some of the nct gang members went to the college" he said.

haerin clicked her tongue and she felt somewhat annoyed for no reason.

"why are you closing the case? how about the killer? have you found him?" haerin asked when she entered the police station. the police officer who were investigating her little brother's case just looked at her with no emotion written in his eyes.

a long deep sigh came out of his lips as he placed the papers he was reading on the table before looking back at her. "how can we find the killer? he leave no traces behind and what kind of superpowers or whatever he had it's like he never existed in this world. we can't find any evidence." the police officer said.

"the weapon? any dna?"

he shook his head. "i told you there were no traces left behind even the forensic team can't identify it. this leaves us no choice but to close the case. i'm sorry ms. jung" he bowed his head.

she laughed sarcastically while glaring down at the police officer. "what kind of job are you cops doing? superpowers? not exist in this world my foot" she muttered. with that amused smile of hers.

haerin went outside looking devastated as all the hope of finding her borther's killer were gone. she clenched her fist and glanced back at the police station.

"useless cops" she muttered with pure disgust written all over her face.

"haerin!" she snapped back to reality and saw lucas waving his hand in front of her face. his eyes had that concerned look. "are you okay?"

"yeah.. just remembered some things" she said.