IV

"How has it been? Have you been getting used to the palace, Lucy dear?"

Lucy placed down her cup of tea and turned her head, facing the Empress. The sides of her blonde hair were pulled back and tied together with a light pink peony accessory as silver hairpins were placed through it, letting its simple but fine jewels dangle from it. She wore a white-sleeved robe with a light purple and pink gradient dress tied from around her chest with peony patterns lining the hems of the dress as a pale pinkish-white hagoromo hung from her arms. Despite her simple wear, her cuteness shone through and there was no doubt that in a few years time, she would become a remarkable beauty.

"Much thanks to Empress and Emperor, this lowly servant has been well," Lucy replied with a bright smile.

The Empress smiled happily hearing her say that. "It's a shame though. Once Layla and Jude returns, you'll be leaving the palace," she sighed and pouted. "You should just live here."

"Answering the Empress, that would be improper," Lucy chuckled nervously. "As much as this lowly servant wishes to pay Her Majesty company, it will simply not do for an outsider to reside within the Imperial Palace."

"You can enter as Koumei's friend," the Empress said. "You are a lady of the Heartfilia family and no one would judge. Besides, Koumei seems to be very fond of you. He, who rarely comes out from his hall, often now comes out."

Lucy chuckled. "Though it is I who often intrudes upon him."

"Not at all," she grinned. "Having you by his side has made him open up more. Lucy dear, too. Are you fond with having Koumei as company?"

Lucy stopped as she perked up. Holding her cup of tea, her eyes were soft and glass-like. "I rarely have anyone to talk to back at the Heartfilia manor since both father and mother are busy. That's why being in his company and having someone to talk to, I really enjoy it," Lucy smiled warmly. "To me, he's a great friend," she smiled genuinely with only happiness in her eyes.

"A friend, huh?" the Empress thought about it before bursting into laughter, surprising Lucy.

"E-Empress?"

"N-No, it's nothing," she wiped away a tear. "If Koumei were to hear that, then I wonder how he would react."

Lucy tilted her head in question and that just made her seem all the much cuter. The Empress held her close and Lucy widened her eyes in surprise.

"If only I had a daughter," she sighed. "Layla really is lucky. To have such a daughter like you."

Lucy pulled her lips into a line as she lowered her eyes in shyness.

"Oh! If you can't enter with the official title of a friend, then I can make it so that you're my lady-in-waiting," the Empress pointed out.

"Empress..."

"Unfortunately, due to her age, that will not be possible."

The Empress and Lucy both turned heads to where the voice had come from and Koumei, followed by Kouen, came in. The servants bowed and Kouen and Koumei lifted their robes to the front as they knelt down on the floor.

"Child greets Mother Empress," the two bowed.

The Empress smiled as she waved her hand for them to rise. The two stood up and she waved her hand over and Koumei obediently walked over, a timid look on his face. He hated being showered with her affections for though she had good intentions, she was a bit overbearing at times.

"It's been a while since I last saw the two of you," the Empress mused. "And I'm sure that the only reason why Koumei came must have been because of Lucy."