At that, Koumei blushed a beet red. "M-Mother!"

She laughed and Lucy looked on with a blank stare.

"Of course that's not true, Empress," Lucy smiled with innocence. "Why would His Highness the Second Imperial Prince come out of his way to meet with this lowly servant? This lowly servant who has known him since only a few days ago cannot compare to Her Majesty, his Mother. He most surely must have come to greet you."

Koumei paled at hearing her words and the Empress placed a sleeve over her hand as she faced the side, barely holding in her laughter.

"Lucy dear, you're too much."

"Eh?"

Even Kouen was barely holding in his laughter, his lips twitching. In Lucy's eyes, the idea of romance didn't exist and to her, everyone that she knew was either her friend or acquaintance. She always acted with an air unbefitting of her age so one would simply forget that she was still just a five-year-old child. In situations like these, one was reminded of her age once more and Kouen smirked. She really was interesting.

Kouen watched as his mother doted on Koumei and Kouen caught Lucy's stare. He looked at her and she looked back at him. The edges of her lips curled upward into a faint smile as her eyes reflected him and only him. He widened his eyes, mesmerized by her gaze, before turning his head away. She knew exactly what to do to brighten him up and he secretly wished she didn't. The more she observed him and the more she took notice of him, he craved it even more and he didn't want any more of this feeling. If it continued to grow, there would soon come a time where he no longer knew how to control it.

"So, Kouen dear," the Empress turned to him with a warm smile and Kouen softened his gaze. "It's rare for you to visit the Phoenix Hall. I hope everything's faring well on your end."

"You need not worry, Mother Empress," Kouen answered. "Child is doing well."

"I see," the Empress gave a rather lonesome smile for though she equally loved her two sons, Kouen was not the type to wish to be openly doted on and would distance himself. If there was one thing she wished she could change about him, it would be his coldness. "If things are difficult, don't hesitate to ask for help. After all, Mother is the Empress of this country. As the Empress, we are well-versed in political and economic affairs."

Kouen lowered his head. "Child will remember."

The Empress smiled and stood up, walking over to him. "Good," she grinned and held Kouen close to her. "Remember that before you're the First Imperial Prince and before I'm the Empress of the Kou Empire, you're my son, Kouen dear."

Widening his eyes, he slowly closed them and gave a meek nod of his head. "Child will remember."

Letting go of him, the Empress smiled affectionately and Kouen simply continued to put up his cold front. But, even though he had put it up, it couldn't hide the look of silent joy in his eyes. That was the first time he had been told that he could rest from his mother and to a child, what other words would bring more joy than that. Lucy smiled to herself and she was left thinking about her own mother. In her eyes, Layla was the most beautiful and graceful person she had ever met and loved her with her entire being. She loved her mother and to not be in her arms and her comfort, she could only smile a blank smile void of feelings. Even if they were born in the Imperial Palace, she envied them for even with the many schemes spiraling around, they had the protection and affections of each other and most of all, their parents.

"Lucy?" Koumei looked at her.

She simply sat there with a dazed look and Koumei looked at her with a look of concern. Compared to her usual bright personality, she was different and he didn't like it. He didn't like the dead look in her eyes as if she was all alone in this world. Pulling his lips into a tight line, he took ahold of her hand and she gazed into his soft, maroon eyes which reflected her silhouette. How beautiful she looked in those crystal eyes of his that she wondered if that was how he viewed her.