CHAPTER 38 - Lost You Twice

Start from the beginning

"Rebecca might somehow be my sister by blood but she was never a sister to me by heart." The pain laces her soft voice as I wipe away a tear that slightly travels down from my cheek.

"I do not hate Rebecca, neither do I carry any vengeance in my heart for her because that'll only break me.. but I will never accept her as a sister figure in my life. She has never been and never will be my sister." She sobs softly in between words.

"Rebecca did all that to me, she broke me and broke my heart. It would've felt better if it was someone that was untied to me who did that to me.. but she is my blood sister.. she chased me away and took my babies away from me, erasing my identity while she was at it." A loud sob escapes immediately after her last word.

"Now if you're mad because I kept it from you then that's okay. But I won't apologize for that. How do I tell my daughter.. daughters that the person behind all of this was my own sister? My own blood!" She holds her chest, trying to ease the internal pain. "I didn't want you guys to think that this is the least bit okay or normal to treat another sister like this."

I have a sister. I have sisters. I can't even imagine that sort of pain evolving from my own sister.

I just fucking can't.

More tears travel down my face as I sniff, trying to avoid sobbing loudly. Covering my nose and mouth with one hand as I scowl, my eyes wet.

"I'm not mad, mom. But why?" I ask finally looking at her.

She smiles. A painful smile as she tilts her head.

"It all started back in the day when Rebecca and I were young. I've always been her least favorite person. Jealous of the special treatment I got from our parents but that was.. only because I was sick. I had an early stage of lung cancer which I recovered after a transplant. She always said I acted like I'm better than her, how I think I'm all that.. just because I was well mannered and corrected her when she was wrong. I was the better behaved one when she was the bad apple. Well, obviously she was always cut out to be a bad one.. if I knew that wanting the best for my sister would lead to this, I would've treated her like shit because that was the only way of getting through to her. Probably that's how she'd feel love." She explains.

"I met the love of my life when I was 19 in college, still sick from cancer but he didn't know. I had to stop college because of it, that's how he found out because he figured out I wasn't attending school. David and I fell in love with each other but I started to keep my distance because he was from a family of accomplished, high society, very significant people. I was scared of what they'd do when they found out that their only child is with a cancer recovering, college drop out. I didn't want to bring that type of energy in a son and his parents lives."

"But still, I should've never done that, I should've never given up on him." Mom adds with a sob but she manages to smile regardless. I place my palm over my forehead.

"Anyways.. I tried to move on because I thought I was protecting him, I know how rich families like that are especially the ones in politics. It's a few months later when I found out that he and Rebecca was dating. I was shocked but he didn't know I had a sister and apparently she didn't tell him either."

"However, he knew she had a sister, but she didn't tell him it was me and my parents always call me by pet names whenever they were around his family. At that time, David had never actually met my parents because they didn't know about us just yet. Both  David and I parents didn't have much of a personal relationship to speak about family stuff, they were all consumed by business, even their kids relationships and marriages were business strategies to them. Rebecca and I parents were powerful people that had influences in politics. Our parents and David's parents decided that it would be a clever business strategy if Rebecca got married to David because she was more accomplished than me, which they did."