CHAPTER 25 - The Game

Previously On Triplets Apart:
Jada returns to school prior to her suspension being over because of her parents influence with the school. She gets emotional having to now face Mariyah, her sister. Mariyah invites her once again to her family function which now brings an idea to Jada.

***

The cute sound of an iPhone ringtone coming from my bag, I reach inside for it, smiling at the caller's ID.

"Hello mommy."

"Hello my beautiful pumpkin." She beams and I can almost see her smile as mine spreads to my ears, I cover my face a little.

"How are you?"

"I can't stop thinking about you."

"I'll see you soon, momma. I miss you so much. I miss Amy too."

"We miss you too."

"Okay, Massacres, it's time!" My coach shouts.

"Call you later mom, I got a game."

"What kind of game?"

"I play for my school on the female soccer team. We got a huge game against another private school called Wilson Yale's College."

"Wow, that's.. that's so awesome. I'm so proud of you. Well, do your best pumpkin."

"I will for you momma." I say with a smile that I'm wishing she could see.

"I love you." She tells me and I abruptly take in a deep breath with my eyes closed.

"I love you too, momma." I exhale and cut the line.

I love Charlotte and Adonis, but for some reason this feels like the first time I said "I love you" and actually felt it. I felt it deep.

"Are you guys ready?" Brad asks. Brad is our coach. We should really address him as coach Coleman but he doesn't like it, he says it 'makes him feel old and he's young and fresh'.

"Yes!" Everyone shouts, except for me of course.

He stretches his hand forward and we all put our right hands in a pile.

"Now guys, you're all talented players but the Giants are really good too. I want you to play from the heart. Stay alert, be quick and give it your all. We will win this!" he shouts. "Massacres?"

"Go!" We all shout, throwing our hands in the air.

Our soccer team is called 'The Massacres' and our opponents are called 'The Giants'.

All my team mates have grown to really admire me for some reason.

Running out of the changing room and out on the field. My parents are here with Paige and my friends all together, they were all in the dressing room earlier when I introduced my family to all my friends.

I wish Cameron was here with Amy, I remember what she said to me and it's really motivating me to play my best. I spot Mariyah beside my parents, Tariq and Cody beside her, along with the rest of the gang. I get an instant drive through me, compelling me to play with everything in me. The air is filled with the blaring cheering, horn blowing and whistling.

As the game is ready to begin, Camille, which is the center forward, kicks the ball in and Ashley takes it, setting the game off on a good paste. She dribbles towards the goal but one of the giants kicks it outside.

I stay near the goal being that I play forward. I am the main goal scorer, with a little thanks to Tariq and his extra lessons of how to make the perfect score.

The game resumes and a giant player kicks the ball, a massacre controls it and kicks it towards me. I control the ball as a defender tries to tackle me. Making a pile over her head, then kicking the ball straight into the net, earning a clean shot.

5 minutes into the game and I already scored? I can't believe it! The entire crowd goes nuts and the whistles and horns are deafening. I look closer and spot Mariyah's smile instantly. Her smile elicits a smile of my own and my stomach moves.

"That was for Cameron." I mumble to myself as Ashley comes running and hugging me. Ashley and I are the closest on the team.

The game resumes and I run further away from the goal to make a tackle for the ball. She folds me and throws me to the ground, causing my right ankle to feel a shocking sting. I jolt up immediately in anger.

"What the fu.." I yell, pacing crookedly towards the opponent with hands apart and Lisa pulls me back because they all know how I am by now.

I know in soccer, the moment they spot the good players, they're going to try to take you out the game. But I'm not going anywhere. My coach runs onto the field to see if I'm okay but I insist that I am, they won't get rid of me that easily and the next person tries any shit like that again, well...

The referee grants us a free kick.

Camille kicks the ball in and Mia takes control, kicking it to me. I assume my position away from the ball, then running towards it, kicking it straight in the net, using my left foot, thank God I learned how to play with my left foot.

"That was for Cameron." I mumble to myself.

The crowd reignites and all the girls sprint towards me, jumping on top of me, creating a pile. I get scared for my ankle but luckily, no one steps on it. I cheer in victory. We're now on 2-0 because of me.

At the end of the game, we won by 4-1, three of those goals was by me and the last one was from Ashley.

My third goal was for Amy.

As the game finishes, we retreat to the changing room to get our bags. Our coach sits us down and congratulates us, his emotions are full of glee and excitement.

"That was awesome! I'm so proud of you girls!" He shouts and we all clap and cheer. "Jada, I want to say that was spectacular. Ashley, well done and to the rest of you, you all were amazing out there!" He adds and we all express our thank you's.

"Also, I know that we haven't selected a team captain as yet. I would like to take this moment to announce it." Our cheers gradually quiet down to hear who he chose.

"Jada, how do you feel about becoming the captain of this team?" He asks and everyone glance at me with  expectant grins.

"M..me?" I stutter, placing a hand on my chest.

"Yes you."

"I don't.. I don't know what to say."

"You know what, you are all dismissed." He tells us as we all shuffle around, gathering our things to leave.

"Jada, can I see you?" He asks and I nod.

As everyone leaves, Brad heads over to me and starts talking to me right away.

"Jada, it's obvious that you are the best on this team. You think I don't know that you've been staying back everyday after practices just to practice some more? Tariq told me. He's now the captain of the sophomores team and he's been playing for us since he was a freshman, so his input is valuable to this decision. I knew that girl messed up your ankle, now you're basically hopping on one leg. For God's sake, you scored a ball with your left foot! That is true strength and talent. You have everything it takes to lead this team. What do you say?" He asks and I laugh in disbelief.

Thinking about it for a few seconds.. I can't believe this.

"I will." I finally accept, he laughs and shakes my hand.

***

Jada is captain of the female soccer team? You go girl!

Remember to vote!