CHAPTER 5 - Invitation

Previously On Triplets Apart:
The insanely handsome Tariq apologizes on behalf of him and Shane for their actions against her and Mariyah, which of course Jada rejects. Jada discovers that her roommate Mariyah is the president's daughter.

2 updates in one day!

***

"You are Mariyah Dé'Neilio? The president's daughter?"

"Yeah. He did his first term 18 years ago and I was born early in that first year of him being president. I was born when my parents were in their prime, under a lot of attention, so they were very protective of me ever since." She smiles shyly.

"And he ran for president again last year to do his second term and won again." I finish, nodding my head.

"Then we moved back into the White House." She nods in confirmation.

"Your father... is David Dé'Neilio." I drawl proudly as I rub my chin. She chuckles. "Is that why you have a painting of the American flag?"

"And I painted it myself." She tells me proudly.

I raise my eyebrows and let out an amused air of laughter through my nose. I find it surprisingly funny that I'm roommates with a girl I didn't even know her name, only to find out that she's my roommate and also the President's daughter.

Holy shit, the President's daughter.

The kids at the school would only share small waves at her but of course they're not going to be crazy over her because they are all from rich and powerful backgrounds. In fact, most of them wouldn't even know who she is because her parents kept her away from the public's eye most of her life. This also explains why some of them pick on her; they don't dislike her because she's a little different, they're just jealous. This is also why she's been homeschooled and her parents are so protective.

"But I mean... you dress like a President's daughter... how come you don't come to school in flashy black personalized jeeps or.. secret service following you around daily instead of living on campus?" I feel the odd need to pry some more.

"Because I want to feel like a normal kid! I'm so annoyed with being protected and chauffeured everywhere I need to go. I wanna go to campus parties and drink beer, drive myself. I want to meet a boy.... I.. I wanna have a friend or friends." Her eyes slowly travels across to find mine. We share comfortable eye contact for a few seconds.. before I look away.

A smile escapes my face anyway, prior to taking her hand. "You do have a friend kiddo." I tell her as we smile at each other. Until of course, I shift uncomfortably, breaking the moment.

After what Mariyah shared with me just now, I no longer see her as a spoiled child from powerful people; she's only a teenager who simply wants to be free. She just wants to have a real friend for once. Normally I wouldn't feel anything or go all soft by someone opening up to me but there's just something about her that pulls me in. Making me want to be there and feeling like I'm the only one that can fill this void. I am the girl's roommate anyway and I am the one she'll be seeing the most frequent for the next few years. It'll be torture for her if I continue to ignore her and I'd be nothing but a horrible person for doing that.

I'm not even doing this because I feel sorry for her, I actually like the kid, it's just something about her energy that fits well with mine. And that is weird being how different we are.

Imagine having to be locked away most of your life just for your own protection. Not being free enough to make friends or simply can't go anywhere without being watched over. It is overwhelming to even imagine. And God damn, I can't sit aside and watch those assholes harass her everyday. With me, she'll be alright. She'll have a friend and an unpaid bodyguard 24/5.