CHAPTER 20 - Illinois

Previously On Triplets Apart:
Tariq visits Jada's room to find out why she fought. Jada seeks clarity from him about his "player" and "doggish" rumors she obtained from Emma. Tariq gets emotional and truthful towards Jada about his pass and states that she changed him. Jada goes home to find Paige alone in her room, happily recovering. She plans to fly to Illinois on her free days.

***

Photo - Cameron Fernandez (Susan Grey)

I wonder if I'm a little out of character as I study these matte leather Chanel pants on me, tightening the belt that comes with it. A black, Dior sleeveless top and a pair of black Italian leather, knee high, red bottom boots. As usual, I apply no makeup on my beautiful, spotless face, only a little moisturizer and gloss to my lips. My nose is also pierced. I had my eyebrows ombre browed last year to keep them neat at all times so I don't have to constantly keep them in check. That shit took like three hours to complete and costed my mother about four hundred dollars.

Armani black leather watch locked around my left wrist. I throw an oversized Alexander Wang trench coat over me and then glance at myself in the mirror. I look like a young adult, like a rich or highly paid spy or an assassin and I love it. A smirk forms at one end of my lips. I think I'm beginning to like this designer fashion thing. Maybe I now understand what my sis is all about even though I do it so differently than her.

Placing both palms on either sides of my neck, sliding them around to the back of my neck and lifting my long curly hair from under the coat and releasing it down my back. I pull up my left sleeve to look at the tattoo on my wrist, scoring myself a smile then pull the sleeve back over it. I pick up my phone and dial Tariq without thinking.

Why am I calling Tariq?

"Hey." He whispers.

"Bad time?" I ask whispering back like an idiot.

"Yes, in class actually."

"Oh, my bad."

"Are you okay?"

"Yes I'm fine. Just, uh.. checking on you."

"I miss you. We all miss you."

"Who wouldn't miss a rebel like me?"

"Whatever, just hurry and get your ass back here."

"I can't speed up time." I chuckle.

"Finally.. one thing you can't do."

"Word."

"So you're not mad at me anymore?"

"Nah, its not my place to be. What you do with your life is your business." I think my tone came off harsh because he goes silent for a few seconds. "Plus I miss you too." I quickly add.

Wait, what?

"You what? You say what now?" He teases.

"Goodbye, Tariq."

"No phones, Tariq!" A lecturer scolds him in the background.

"Bye." He says and I hang up without another respond.

I shove my laptop and everything else that I need in my Burberry bag and head out to catch my 10:00am flight, I could drive but it's too long and I don't have the patience today to drive myself. I could use my family's private jet but then they would want to stick their nose in my business. As I pace down the stairs, it's Charlotte and Adonis's figures that grace the room, dressed professionally, about to head out. They glance up at me confused.

"Jada? When did you get here?" Dad asks.

"Yesterday." I say in a bored tone as I march down the stairs.

"So you were here last night and didn't say anything? We didn't even know you were in the house." Mom says.

"I was tired?" I shrug as if asking a question.

"And why are you here? Don't you think you're a little overdressed for school?" Dad scans me with his eyes.

"I'm not going to school, I'm on suspension." I say as if it's nothing, striding away to the kitchen to grab an apple juice, they follow.

"Suspension for what now?" Dad's voice is concerned but still irritated.

"Some girl hit me so I beat her ass, right?" I don't think I should sound so carefree at all.

Mom places a hand over her face and shakes her head in frustration and my dad sighs.

"Language. Baby girl, you have to try harder to stay out of trouble. Your mother and I have done a lot to get you help and get you in a good school." Dad pleas and at this point it sounds like a recital.

"It won't happen again." I assure them after taking a sip of my juice.

"That's what you told me the last time." Mom hands spread apart then plops them by her sides.

"Well.. how long will you be here for? Maybe we all could do something nice as a family for old time's sake?" Dad's voice seems hopeful but still doubtful that it might not happen.

"That'd be nice. I have to go." I fake a smile.

"Where're you going?" Mom asks.

"Places." Giving them kisses on the cheeks, I quickly leave to avoid any more interrogations.

Since I have no one to drive my car back home and my parents can't know, I hired an Uber to take me to the airport. During the ride to the airport, I think about how my life has changed so drastically over the past 2 months. Paige's transplant, the adoption, my real mom.. and dad, Mariyah, Tariq and the others, the tattoo, fighting.. I am so overwhelmed. And also Tariq.. sigh, I said that already.

Sometimes I just want to call him and tell him everything. To listen to his wise words which I know he'll share. To hear what he thinks of the whole situation and consider his vital opinion of what I should do next.

I hop on my first class ride prior to sleeping away most of the journey to Illinois. I was up almost all night because of the anxiety to meet my mother today. I arrive in Illinois where a 2018 Infiniti QX30 rental awaits me.

I hop in the car and pull up Susan's information on my phone then letting the car and the obnoxious voice it comes with direct me from there..

I drive carefully to the address until I arrive at my destination. It's a nice house made of bricks with different types of beautiful flowers surrounding it. I turn the engine off then resting my head back to let out a breath as I stare at the house.

Stepping out the car and slowly making my way up the steps to the door, I raise my hand to knock but hesitates and withdraws. I close my eyes to evaluate on what's about to happen. Am I really going to see my birth mother now? I dubiously knock twice but no response.

What if this was all wrong? Can I just return home and pretend none of this happened? What if she doesn't wants to be found? Why do I always have to keep pushing?

I snap out of my trance when a soothing feminine voice crashes through my thoughts and stopping me from running away and not looking back.

"Can I help you?" The female voice asks from behind me, freezing me in my spot for a second, a breath gets caught in my gullet and I want to sink deep into the earth.

I look downwards over my shoulder as my eyes lands on her flat shoes, then turning my eyeballs up slowly, eyeing her up from toe to head. She wears a long floral dress that sways over her curves. It seems she loves flowers.

She carries a handbag over one shoulder and a grocery bag in her other hand. My eyes finally finding her face, my gaze is now fixated once again. Staring at her as she gazes back at me uncomfortably, wearing my own face as her's.

Sweet Neptune.. it's her. It's my mother.

***

Remember to vote!

Ily all.