CHAPTER 18 - Fight

Previously On Triplets Apart:
Mariyah spills the beans to Jada about her second kiss with Cody but she's unsure of their awkward romance. Jada reassures her and gives her new relationship advice. But when it's Jada's turn to talk about her and Tariq, she withdraws, saying they're just really good friends.

***

For once, I feel like sitting with my friends in the cafeteria to have lunch. This is the same table that most of the other minions can only wish to sit and I still try to understand why college is programmed this way. The entire situation reminds me of Kyrie and his group of friends in high school. Tariq always leaves them to come and have lunch with me but I wouldn't want them thinking in any way that he's choosing me over them; hence why I'm here now.

I normally eat somewhere outside under a gazebo or something because the crowd is less there. As I make my way to the table, persons steal glances at me then pretend as if they're not looking.. I'm not sure why people are scared of me. Well, actually, I am sure.

Mariyah feels my forehead playfully.

"What?" I snap.

"I'm just tryna see if you're okay. You never sit with anyone to eat." She grins, I discreetly roll my eyes.

"Oh.. my parents are launching a new organization called the Erica Smith Foundation.. Erica was an 8 year old who died from lung cancer. The cause of her death is mainly because of the shortage of equipment in the hospital, she could've lived longer or even survived by getting a transplant so the aim of this foundation is to raise money to provide the Alpha's Children's Hospital with the best medical supplies in abundance." She explains but I'm not sure as to where she's going with this or what it has to do with me.

"Oh, that's nice of them." I smile, thinking back on Paige.

"Well..." she trails off.. "Its mainly my dad's idea but they're having the event at the White House next week Saturday and my mom desperately wants me to bring my friend. Sooo..." she bites a nail and I pick up on where she's going with this. That's why she's so nervous, she knows these type of gatherings aren't my thing.

"I don't know, M.. I'm really busy these days, I have a lot of shit going on. And the White House? That's kind of.." I rock my head side to side, in search of the right word.. "extreme for me."

"J, I really want you to be there.. can you at least think about it?"

"Alright, I'll think about it."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She squeals.

I smile then look ahead of me to see Emma leaving the table and coming towards me. I assume that she's approaching me because of her narrowed eye contact.

I adjust my expression to my usual straight face as she walks up. We all come to a halt, standing only inches apart.

"garbage detected." My random imaginary friend's voice echoes in my head and I conceal the snort of laughter that threatens to escapes through my nose.

Zinh, why are you this way?

"Hey." She says, placing a hand at her nonexistent hip.

"Sup." I reply dryly, Mariyah silently looks away.

"So I've been thinking, the question you asked when we went to the games, why did you want to know that?"

"Because ever since I met you guys, I've been sensing a weird vibe between you two separately. Even that very day, he was ignoring your calls, why was that?" I ask with squinted eyes, tilting my head slightly, acting as if I don't already know.