Ache

There is absolutely no reason for it. At least not a rational reason you can think of, that would make him act like he was acting at the moment. You remain silent while Shawn continues to put away the clean dishes in the different drawers of your spacious kitchen. He's fumbling more than usual, getting more irritated each time the handle on a drawer doesn't obey his still slightly wet hands orders.

You can tell he's bothered. It's written all over his heated face. Also, he's chewing on his bottom lip as he tends to do, whenever he's in a mood.

You lean back in the chair, eyes following his silhouette carefully while forcing a breath into your lungs. Somehow, the air taste sour when it hits the tip of your tongue.

"You know, I wish you would just say it."

"Say what, Shawn?" You ask, your eyes darting to his back turned towards you.

Shawn has purposely been avoiding all sorts of contact with you since he started making a scene. He wants you to know that he's obviously frustrated with you, but he doesn't want to give you the chance to actually face him.

It's a typical Shawn move, really.

He's always been too afraid of confrontation. And therefore, you have been sitting here for the past thirty minutes, watching him do the dishes in anger.

Throwing things into the sink with water splashing all over the floor and he hasn't once turned around to look at you for even a few seconds.

He's giving you the cold shoulder and it's forcing an uncomfortable knot to appear in your stomach. It grows a little each time another bitter second pass.

"You know what I'm on about." He fires back, raising his voice slightly at the end.

It's not like him but you have no clue as to why he's acting strange. The boy is a mystery to you sometimes and he can be impossible to read when he wants to.

Shawn drops a handful of clean cutleries on the tile floor, mumbling swearwords under his breath in respond while pressing his palms against the edge of the sink. You shake your head at your boyfriend, eyes rolling for a second while you stand from the chair and move towards him.

He lowers his head and you can tell he's holding his breath for a few seconds, maybe trying to somewhat calm himself down. He cracks his neck a few times, a desperate attempt to ease the headache that is slowly reaching the surface.

Shawn has been rather quiet the past few days, more than usual, but you didn't pay much attention to it at first. Shawn has a habit of getting slightly distant when he feels stressed or tired and given the fact that he's been busting his ass writing new music, you didn't put much thought into his mood swings.

But it's clear to you now, that there's another reason causing his silent treatments although you have no idea what it is. Usually, Shawn's never mad at you for more than a couple of hours.

You bend down while collecting the silverware from the floor while the silence surrounds you as the seconds pass by. You can taste the tension in the air, it's somewhat choking and therefore, you do your best to ignore the sharp yank you constantly feel in your chest.

When you have finally collected all the cutlery from the floor, you begin putting them into their correct drawers. Your moves are much softer in comparison to Shawn's.

"Thanks." He mutters, eyes flickering to avoid yours. His words are unwilling and sounds somewhat bitter but at least he says them.

He steps aside for a moment while you put forks and spoons back on place, it stings in your heart that Shawn won't even allow your elbows to brush slightly against each other while you fumble in the kitchen.