I Got You

You're in the back garden, laying on blankets on the ground with a duvet over you. It's around five in the morning but neither of you are able to sleep. You are about seven months into quarantine and your daily thoughts are filled with worry and uncertainty. 

Your head is resting on Shawn's chest as he plays softly with tots of your hair. The bonfire Shawn made is still burning and able to keep the both of you warm. You smile to yourself when Shawn plants a sweet kiss on your forehead and cuddles you further into his chest. He smells like your favourite shampoo and the body-scrub he constantly denies using. 

"I'm glad I met you." Shawn suddenly says and you feel an instant heat in your chest. His warm voice makes your heart flicker and you seek his eyes to send him a little but loving smile. 

"I'm glad I met you as well." Your small and somewhat shy words make your boyfriend smile to you and you are fully aware your cheeks are turning red. Shawn finds your hand to interlace your fingers together and then, he gives you a small squeeze. 

"I really mean it, though." He says as his tongue slides between his lips. "This year has been beyond horrible for everybody and... I'm not sure I would have made it through without you." 

You cannot stop the butterflies that appear in your stomach as the words roll from Shawn's tongue. You don't know how to reply and therefore, you lift your head to kiss his lips. 

Shawn deepens the kiss as a bundle of knots forms in your stomach and you allow his tongue to slide between your lips. You can taste the wine you shared on his tongue, but it makes him even more appealing to you. Shawn pushes his fingers into your hair and drags you further into the kiss as he sucks all the air out of your lungs. 

It hasn't been easy for him, the whole quarantine thing. Well, it hasn't really been easy for anyone to deal with, to be fair. But Shawn have not been home this year and you know he's missing his family more than he allows you to believe. 

You are luckier, though. Your parents live around twenty-minutes away and you're able to take walks with them, at a distance of course, but it's more than Shawn gets these days. You break the kiss and press your forehead against his, a few curls tickling your skin. 

"We're all hoping for a better 2021." You whisper in attempt to cheer him up. "There's light at the end of the tunnel now. With the vaccine and all." Shawn smiles at your words and embrace your hands as a thank you, you always know what to say, he tells you that often. 

"I think we all need that hope to hold on to at the moment." He mutters and your heart aches from, for his family and for yours, for everyone really. 

You reach for his cheek as you begin stroking your thumb against his lips and Shawn desperate to feel you close, press his mouth against your palm. He kisses your hand, it tickles and it makes you giggle a little. 

"It's there, hope. We're getting closer." You assure him and he nods back. 

The pandemic, as for the whole world you imagine, has been harsh on Shawn's mentality. You didn't notice much at first, but Shawn was scared. To a point where it takes control over his feelings and he did not know how to cope with what is going on. 

Shawn is afraid he'll be the reason someone becomes ill, he's worried he isn't doing enough to prevent the virus from spreading and he's terrified he's going to hurt someone.

You lean down to rub your nose against his and it forces a smile to appear on his lips. 

"We're almost there, babe. Just hang in." You whisper in his ear and see how the goose bumps spreads on his body. 

Shawn lets out a sigh that makes your heart drop to your guts. You watch carefully as he closes his eyes and takes a few deep breaths to calm down. All you do is stay silent and caress his face. 

"So many people have lost their loved ones and it could have been me." He stutters and you can tell tears are forming in his eyes. 

"I know, love. I know. It's beyond awful, what people have gone through this year." You tell him. "We've done all we can. You have done all you can do. Stayed inside, not seen anyone, donated money to organisations that need it. I know it doesn't feel like much or even anything at all, but it's all we can do." 

"Yeah, but..." Shawn stutters as he looks for your stare. "It doesn't feel like enough." 

"I know, honey. In a situation likes this, nothing will ever seem like enough. But it's all we can do, stick together to prevent the virus from spreading." You say and Shawn nods. 

You know you don't have him fully convinced, but at least you have him thinking. Shawn wants to save the world, he cannot possibly do such a thing when the issues is a global pandemic, but he wants to. Shawn lets out a deep sigh as he wipes a tear from his lips and then, he looks at you again. 

"You think we're about to beat this virus?" 

"I think we're getting there." You tell him with a small smile. You lean down to give him a quick kiss as your thumb slides down his jawline. "We're getting there. Until then, I'll take care of you." 

"You promise?" 

"I promise, baby. I got you."