Save A Life

Toronto, Canada – 2017

"Okay, wish me luck" Shawn stuttered, running his shaking fingers through his curly hair.

Why was he so nervous? He was so used to big crowds.

You pulled Shawn into your arms, before planting a tender kiss on his already burning lips.

"You don't need any luck" you whispered into his ear, softly stroking his flushed cheek.

Shawn bit his lips, sending you a nervous smile, before quickly licking them. A man handed Shawn a mike, pointing for Shawn to take stage.

As he walked out, people started clapping, which seemed to make Shawn even more nervous than before.

You didn't get why, though. He was used to this, performing in front of people. Sure, he wasn't singing tonight, but singing or talking, you didn't see the difference in that.

Geoff softly let his hand rest on your back, leading you to your assigned seat at front in the crowd. Shawn's flickering eyes found yours and you hurried to send him a smile, hoping it would somehow calm his nerves a little.

You nodded at him, before blowing him a kiss. He ran his fingers through his dark hair again, like he always did whenever he felt out of place or uncomfortable.

A small, almost invisible smile, escaped his lips, he took a deep breath and then forced himself to start talking.

"Hello everyone and thank you for coming. My name is Shawn Mendes and I'm a musician. And I'm here tonight to talk about donating blood. I'm sure a lot of you have thought about it, or wondered how much it really helps, or how many side effects it as and hopefully, I can do my part to enlighten you a bit. I used to think, it wasn't too important, that someone else doing it was probably fine, until I met someone and realized, I could be a part of saving someone's life. Today, I'm going to be sharing my story, to hopefully, make you think about this twice" the words blurred out his mouth and though it sounded fine, you could tell how anxious he was.

Shawn was usually very relaxed on a stage, but right now, every fibre of his body was tense. His words came forced and rushed, but you highly doubted anyone else noticed, you just knew him too well not to notice him struggle a bit.

You send him another calming smile as his gaze found yours once again. You were proud of him, you hoped he knew just how much.

"You got this, babe" you whispered as Shawn read your lips. He nodded and then continued talking.

***

Toronto, Canada - 2015

You licked your lips as you looked around the room with darting eyes. You were rubbing your palms nervously in your lap as your legs were tripping quite a lot.

It seemed like these walls became more and more white every time you came here. They became scarier, the room became scarier to be honest.

Sitting here, in the waiting room always seemed to get the best of you, it always seemed to freak you out more than you were willing to admit. You'd done this a million times, but you never got used to it. It never became any easier.

Sarah, the friendly nurse who was always assigned to you, walked by you, trying her best to flash a calming smile, as if it would help the tiniest bit. You strained a smile back to her, but she could tell it didn't reach your eyes.

Your eyes followed walking to the front desk, greeting a young, dark-haired guy. Your eyes gazed at him, meaning for it to be just for a second, but you didn't remove your eyes again. They stuck on him.