Monsters (daddy Shawn)

A faint noise rang in my ears, but not nearly loud enough to pulled me out of my heavy sleep. Only seconds later, I felt the faint squeezes on my arms. When I finally managed to open them, the room was too dark for me to see anything properly.

I rubbed my sleepy eyes, feeling just how sore they were. I blinked a few times, before finally being able to see shadows in the dark bedroom.

"Daddy, daddy" she cried again, forcing down my gaze.

My little princess caught my eyes and then my heart dropped to my guts. She was standing at the bedside, crying heavily and struggling with her breath.

Her pink nightdress was soaked from her tears, her cheeks were red and damp and she seemed to be in complete panic. It made my throat dry and my stomach rather quickly started to hurt, slowly making me feel sick.

I never knew just how much it kills you inside, when your kids are crying. It was the worst kind of pain, I'd ever felt in my entire life.

"Shh, hon. It's okay. You're okay" I calmed, sitting up in the bed.

"Daddy, there are monster under my bed" she sobbed, her tiny voice breaking over at the end.

Her little body was shaking from all her tears and she was choking in the noises slipping over of her mouth.

I quickly grabbed around her hips and pull her up to sit on my lap. I hugged her tightly into my chest, rocking her back and forth in my arms.

"It's okay, honey. There is no such thing as monsters" I mumbled, kissing the top of her hair.

She was warm, very warm and her wet face left dark stains of tears on my shirt. I felt her tiny fingers grab hardly into my shirt, they were quivering enormously. She let out a few loud sobs, before she was able to speak.

"I saw them, daddy. They scare me"

Gently, I stroked her burning cheeks. I wiped a few of her tears away with my thumb, but new once kept coming. Kissing her forehead, I hugged her as tight as I possibly could.

"Don't be scared, daddy is protecting you. I promise you, they are no monster"

"Come see daddy, they are under my bed" She claimed again, jumping out of my lap.

I unravelled myself from y/n lying beside me, she was still deep into sleep. I gave her shoulder a little squeeze, but she didn't move.

I grabbed our kids hand, walking silently out of our bedroom. I followed her into her room, but she was too scared to follow me entirely in there, she didn't cross the doorframe.

"Tell daddy where the monsters are" I said, stroking her cheek lovingly. She was too afraid to speak, but she pointed at her bed.

"Under here?" I asked, dropping down on my knees. She put her thumb into her mouth, nodding slowly.

"Be careful, daddy" she worried. It took all my strength not to smile widely at her.

"Don't worry princess, daddy is used to fighting of monsters" I said, sending her a wink.

It made a very tiny smile run across her trembling lips, as she kept her eyes glued on me. In that moment, I knew, she saw me as a superhero. Her own, personal superhero.

I lifted up the sheets and looked under the bed. I made sure she watched as I cheeked the floor underneath firmly.

"Do you see them?"

"I think they left honey, you're all good" I said, getting on my feet again.

Now, she felt brave enough to walk up to me. She wrapped her arms around my leg, making sure I wasn't leaving her alone behind.