“I’ve got to finish this thesis so I can, at least, find a job somewhere! I haven’t got any other jobs in ages.”

“Hazza,” I was about to burst out laughing at the nickname. It sounded so dumb to call him that. Hazza… Incredibly weird nickname. “I have no stable job since I finished my third year of college, I am the one who should worry about my future. It’s been two years and I have a shitty life. The world is too cruel nowadays, you better have some fun now.”

His voice came out really serious all of the sudden.

“I am dead serious these past weeks. My mother is still in a bad situation.” I was astonished, he told me she was in a stable condition. What was the right answer? There was something suspicious about Styles. Maybe he just didn’t trust me enough. If so, he was right. “I would love to see her but I didn’t find time until now. My family is taking care of her, yesterday I hired a nurse to replace them at home when they’re busy. But now, I don’t have any job so I may keep this nurse only for one month. I should go back there, and keep an eye on her.”

“Uh, I know but I told you I will help with money.” Louis’ voice was soft and friendly.

“You already helped me with the restaurant last time, I don’t want to rely upon you anymore.”

I knew there was something odd about the restaurant where he took Angelica. He got help from others. So, Styles was the same person with everyone. I loved how he was faithful to his principles. He didn’t want help from anyone else. You can call it ego, I call it independence. He had a real way of life, standing up for ideas he’d cherish. Admirable.

“Wait, what’s that? Is there anyone in your bathroom?”

I startled and tried to occupy myself elsewhere. I needed to head back under the shower. But my curiosity made me stay against the door, wanting to know what they could talk about. Anyway, due to the noise of the water that met the tiles, they surely figured I was under the shower and I couldn’t hear them.

“Yeah.” I heard. I had more difficulty to listen to him since his voice was so much lower than Tomlinson’s.

“Getting some consolation after your dismissal? I thought you never had fun. Who’s in there?”

His voice lowered constantly while asking about who was in the bathroom, I mean, who was supposed to be here. But I knew this way of speaking. It was the way men talked about women or their prowess with women. Ugh. My interest in their conversation grew every second Tomlinson had something else to say. Tomlinson said it as if it was a very normal thing to have sex just like that, with a random girl. A wonder came up to my mind: maybe Styles already did it before… Maybe he wasn’t that perfect model.

I didn’t realize I wasn’t leaning on the door anymore. My thoughts weren’t straight anymore.

My fear to be caught listening to them grew as well. But after being expulsed by my own mother, nothing could be worst. At least, I hoped nothing could be worst.

“Evelyn.”

“Evelyn who?” Tomlinson asked. For what seemed to be years to me, I heard coughs. “Holy f uck. Don’t tell me you are fucking the boss!” he struggled to say between coughs.

His voice came out really harsh and accuser. I couldn’t picture his face, but I could guess he was just disgusted. I had never seen things this way, I never thought people considered me as a disgusting person. The way he said it made me think that having sex with me was the worst sin. As if I were toxic, and God would chastise them for being around me.

“I am not f-” Styles seemed to stop himself. Was he getting embarrassed of saying those words?

“So what the heck is she doing in your bathroom?”