Chapter 49

VOTE AND COMMENT CUTIES! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 2K + VOTES :)

- The news -

*49*

I stepped out of my car with Karl's help. The building was illuminated with lights and projectors. The night started to fall on Manchester City. The sky above the building was different, in years, I never it like this. It reflected the changes that were operated in the company. The lights, the joy and the heat were something that never entered this building and within a few months, the revolution traded its oldness with fashion.

A crowd of paparazzi spotted me as I made a step forward. F-uck I had forgotten this life for a few months. Of course, a few of them still took photos of me on my everyday life. However, the crowd was more intense for my first official outing. Karl, as always protectively helped me out of the crowd. They started to question me as always. But as usual I never replied. Why would I reply to them while they were compressing me in between their bodies, crumpling my dress?

"Evelyn Sethi, are your mother and you on good terms?"

"How did you manage to take your spot back in the company?"

"Who made your dress?"

Questions grew in loudness as I replied to that question. However, I reached the large glaze door where they were stopped by the security. I sighed in relief as they got behind the barriers. I stood there for a few minutes, standing still for some photos before disappearing in the first corridor with Karl.

I fixed my hair that I decided to let down, getting me surprised at how longer my hair had grown.

A woman in a white-fitting dress welcomed me at the entry of the grand-hall. She seemed to be holding the list of guests and an earphone was stuck against her ear and cheek.

"Excuse me, Ms! Your invitation!" she stopped me from walking in the grand-hall.

"You must be new around here, I don't need any invitation." I groaned. The night started nice! She couldn't even recognize me. I heard Karl chuckle behind me, which I understood.

"But Ms-" she cut herself off and listened to her earphone before looking at me with apologetic look. "I'm sorry, Miss Sethi. I didn't think you were on the list because you're not following the colour code."

Her voice came out panicky as she moved to the right to give me a place to get in.

"Pardon?"

She smiled at me and pointed at the room that was decorated in white and gold, the two colours of Sethi's logo. Everyone seemed to be wearing the correct colours. My mouth dropped open, thinking that my dress was navy blue under a pitch-black coat.

"But it's okay, it's okay..." she stuttered, motioning for me to come in. I entered the beautifully decorated grand-hall. The first thing that attracted my eyes was the large flat screen where the promotion videos showed up. People were dancing on the dance floor to soft jazz that an orchestra played. The white and gold colours filled the room in every manner: the lights, the walls that usually sported a darker colour, the tables, the flowers and the stage. The guests seemed to have pleasure, making the place warmer.

The worry of meeting too many people began to build up in my stomach. I clutched my hands tighter around my small pocketbook. My throat always tied up whenever I was to meet elegant guests that were there to judge my outfit, my face, my acts...

"I'm picking you, in four hours?" Karl made me turn around towards him.

"No, you should attend the party." I told him with a small smile. His eyes grew bigger in surprise, which seemed normal, to me. "I mean, you've been working for us for... so many years. It seems pretty decent."