Chapter 38

- Bones -

HELLO VVV LATE UPDATE BC 1. I COULDN’T WRITE 2. THE VOTE GOAL WASN’T REACHED 3. ONE OF MY FAV WRITERS DISAPPEARED FROM WATTPAD (IF YOU EVER SEE THIS, PLSSS COME BACK)

I GOT IN STAGE 2 OF THE WATTYS, PLEASE DO VOTE FOR ME!! THE LINK IS IN MY BIO, YOU CAN’T MISS IT. IT’D BE A VVVVV NICE BIRTHDAY PRESENT FOR ME :)

VOTE GOAL: 22

*38*

Harry’s POV

Love destroys. Hate destroys. Jealousy destroys. Power destroys. Money destroys… That’s what I concluded from Evelyn’s story. Everything, even the most beautiful feeling on Earth, destroyed who she was. I clearly knew a person couldn’t be as cold as she was. I knew she suffered. However, I never expected her sufferings to be so cruel. Everyone was against her, no matter what. No one helped her.

Her childhood and youth were taken away from her while she needed to live them like every child.

I guess I didn’t dare to look at her face anymore, seized by the guilt. Also the sad expression crept on her face, the tears streaming down her cheeks non-stop and the pain laced in her weak voice baffled me. The words were taken off my lips, every time I tried to say something. Mixed feelings gathered in me, my thoughts drifting to Angelica.

I had decided that letting Evelyn lying on the couch wouldn’t make her feel better. We were hanging around the corridors of the huge mansion for a little while. Every single room or door reminded her of everything she spent there. A few people strangely eyed us in the corridor, however, we didn’t really care of them.

“I believe you did nothing to her. All the proofs were just against you. But if they truly believed you killed her and hurt deliberately Angie, why are you here? Not in detention.” I asked, puzzled by the tricky case of her situation.

She was a few inches away from me, her head- previously ducked down- looked up towards me. The mysterious blue of her eyes sparkled with the tears in her eyes.

“Oh, that was quite complicated.” She explained as we left the mansion and into the garden. The sunlight settled on the both of us as we crossed the door.

“Tell me anyway.” I said in a pushy way, devoured by my natural curiosity.

She observed me for a few seconds as we walked in the alleys of the garden.

“I was obviously too young for prison. My advocates, because I had so many of them, expected me to be sent into reform school. But my mom was against it as it’d darken her reputation.”

She paused for a long moment as if trying to remember what had actually happened.

“After a long conversation, they all ended up agreeing on explaining my supposed mistake with the fact that I had been physically and psychologically mistreated. And that was the truth, anyway. I had to be diagnosed a psychological trauma. The punishment would be less heavy for me.”

**~**

“Good morning, Evelyn.” The doctor said, shaking slightly my shoulder. I forced my puffy eyes open and vigorously rubbed them with the back of my hands.

I didn’t reply, I had no sympathy for this doctor. He worked for none other than my mother, like most of the nurses around me at the clinic. It was only seven in the morning, and it was time for my usual check-up, hopefully the last one.