CHAPTER 9 - 18 Years

Depuis le début

Did I just refer to Charlotte and Adonis as my adopted parents?

On the bottom of the last paper, is a small signature. I take a closer look at it. That is not any of my parents signature. I open my phone then capture a picture of the signature. I also take some more pictures of the entire papers for further insurance so I don't have to dismantle my parents room without them knowing again. I already feel bad for being in here without their presence.

A door slams shut downstairs then I quickly put the papers back together and back in the envelope. I run quietly to the safe and place the envelope exactly how I found it before closing the safe and move swiftly to the door to exit the room. As I come up to the door, I'm greeted by the sight of my dad.

"Dad. Hey." I say with a crooked smile.

"What are you doing in here?" He asks pushing pass me.

"I was.. looking for you guys."

"Oh, okay." He says removing his leather shoes.

"Sweetheart!" A voice beams from behind. I turn around, immediately walking into a bone breaking hug from my mom.

"Hey." I breathe. "Mom? Dying?" I manage to say before she releases me. I immediately leave the room.

"Honey! How was your first week?" She calls out.

"Good!" I shout, pacing in my room quickly.

My steps halt again, seeing Paige standing in front of me in the hallway, looking more beautiful than ever as I take in her appearance, not one sign of sickness.

How many people lives in this house? I keep running into someone else.

"Sup baby sis?" She grins her cheeky smile.

"Yes." I say calmly prior to realizing that my answer made no sense.

We share a weird eye contact with each other before she cracks a weird smile, not knowing what to say next but I remain composed.

"How are you?" I ask in a serious tone.

"I'm perf! You? Met any boys?" She wiggles her brows. I scoff in disgust then walk away to my room.

"Hello?!" She calls out, I ignore, shutting my door behind me.

I rest my back against the door then stooping down slowly.. bringing my knees up against my chest and my arms around my legs. Closing my eyes, I settle the back of my head against the door.

Tariq sends me a text with the address and time for the game, I ignore him once more.

After a few minutes, I get up to go outside. I need some fresh air. I open my door with the intention to go to the pool. When I get downstairs, everyone is down here in the living room.

"By the way.." I start, gathering their attention. "The doctor called." They all get this look on their faces but I make sure that they can't read me.

"Wh..what did she.. what did they say?" Mom stutters. Knowing that it's definitely the female doctor but quickly acts like she's unaware of who called.

"It's about Paige." I can tell the seriousness of my tone has them on edge and I'm slightly enjoying it. I take a glimpse at Paige, she swallows and hugs her body slightly. The look on their faces, they're all worried that I might know.

"Did... they tell you what it's about?" Worry evident in Paige's voice.

"No." I say in a rested tone. I can sense the relief on them, just by saying no. "They just wanted to speak to Paige." I lie.

"Uhm.. honey, we're going to swing by the hospital to like.. check it out. Paige wasn't well the other day so I'm going to bring her down there now."

"What is wrong with Paige?" I ask.

"Just... could be nothing." Mom replies.

I smile knowingly. "Can I come?"

"Oh, naahh, pssh.. don't trouble yourself." Paige says as I redirect my eyeballs back on her directly and she folds her lips in worry. She seems to forget that I know her each and every gesture and the meanings towards each of them. How she folds her lips after she lies, hoping that I buy it.

"Okay." I simply say, turning away immediately.

I sit on a chair by the pool trying to relax my mind and embrace the gentle breeze blowing against my face. I unlock my phone slowly to scroll through the pictures I took and reflect.

It all makes sense now. My family knows that I wouldn't be a match to Paige, I wouldn't be a match to any of them. They are so careful to keep this adoption a secret that they wouldn't even risk it by telling me about Paige. Paige might've not told me because she wouldn't accept a kidney from me, she might've not wanted to hurt me, but it hurts more by hiding it. That might be Paige's reason for not telling me but my parent's agendas are far beyond that.

I think back on the looks on their faces.. how they all sat there, looked me in the eyes and lied to my face. I gave them an open chance to come clean but they dodged the bait.

18. 18 years of living inside of a lie. I wonder what else around me is concealed with secrets. In less than 24 hours, I discovered that I'm adopted and my sister has renal kidney failure. All of which was hidden from me. I feel the need to cry but no tears come.

I need to keep my composure, I have a hell of a lot work to do.

***

Get ready people, the story officially starts now.
Remember to vote!