“Uh, some iced tea, would be great.”

“Great, you know where the fridge is.”

I gave him a blank look and he lifted his hands in defense, “I got Loki on me, it's an unwritten rule  of respect to your pets.” he stated matter of actually and I rolled my eyes.

“You could've just said you're bored as fuck.” I stood up and walked towards the doorway.

“Plus that.” I heard him chuckle before I turned the corner. “And bring me some lemon pie! I hid it in the back of the top shelf so Niall won't find it!” he yelled, making me laugh again as I entered the kitchen.

However, my laugh faded away when I acknowledged the presence in the kitchen. My stomach flipped uncomfortably as Zayn’s caramel dark eyes met my green ones. He was leaning against the counter, chewing on his cereal, the bowl in his hands. His black hair was pushed nicely to one side, the sides of his head freshly shaved. He looked good, as always, but still different to me.

“Hey.” he greeted coolly, having my voice working again.

“Hi.” I greeted as normally as I could.

I walked over to the fridge, feeling his eyes follow me. I don't know why it's so awkward between us and I don't know why I don't have the guts to talk to him. The embarrassment of that traumatizing abuse has me completely changed and I hate that. But maybe, I should just try to start small talks. Baby steps again.

“How come you're not working out now?” I asked casually, opening the fridge and searching through the drinks.

“Day off.” he replied easily.

“Good.” I hummed, taking out a can of iced tea before standing on my toes to look at the top shelf. “Um, Thomas said something about a lemon cake?” I asked, leaning my head back to see him over the fridge’s door.

“All gone. Niall ate it last night.” His eyes glued on the spoon he swirled in the bowl, making me slightly frown.

“Why am I not surprised.” I muttered humorlessly, shutting the door. “So, how are you?” I fully turned towards him, wishing he would look at me.

He did, his eyes found mine and I wish he never did. There was sadness and anger hidden behind them, along with something else I couldn't quite read. “I'm fine.” he replied so dryly that I could feel he wasn't having this conversation no matter how much I try.

“Good for you.” I said whole heartedly, because I really eant him to be okay, but I'm still confused and frustrated he is acting like that to me without at least giving me an explanation.

I walked out of the kitchen, feeling his eyes burn the back of my head. “Claire,” he called for me and I stopped right by the doorway, taking a few steps to look back at him. There were secrets trying to peek through his stunning eyes. “If you ever, need anything..” he cleared his throat, “I'm here.”

I nodded, my heart twisting in such a painful way at his words. At least he said that. “I'm glad.” Was all I said before I walked back into the living room.

Really, what else is there to say? He's being cold at me at first, then he comes like a true friend and says he is there for me whenever I need him. I'm too confused to even make out a proper explanation as to why he has changed like that.

Thomas frowned at my hands that only held my iced tea and I gave him a pointy warning look that says ‘don't’. He frowned even more, sitting up straight on the couch, Loki jumpimg on the floor and running towards a spare flip flop to chew on.

“What?” he asked as I sat down on the couch across from him.

“Zayn is here.” I whispered yelled at him with a glare.