Chapter 27

I’ve been worried about you lately...

~•~ Chapter 27 ~•~

Strong jolts of panic and fear shot through my bones as the weight of the branch crashed me against the ground, the sharp thorns piercing through my skin, making me scream at the pain coursing through my knuckles and face. The zombie's hungry groans coming out of his bloody mouth was crystal clear to my ears, along with dripping warm saliva mixed with blood wetting my hair at the back of my head.

“I got you!” I heard Thomas shout as I tried to roll on my back, but my camp bag was held down by the thorns that sank deep into the fabric.

Tiny electronic bolts were shown as Thomas shot the zombie with his gun, making him shake violently and gasp uncontrollably as his entire body lost control over the power of electricity. I moved my head to the side and sucked in a breath when the thorns pinched my cheeks and temples.

“Ow, ” I hissed, the long leaves in front of my face making it hard for me to see through.

I caught Thomas legs running towards me and the zombies rotten body still shaking helpless on the ground as the bullet paralyzed his strength but violently hurt him. Thomas shot the zombie in the head, immediately his body stopping in his tracks as blood was spread out around. I squeezed my eyes shut, each thorn pressed against my skin aching terribly.

“Thomas help.” I cried, unable to get out of this position by myself.

“Don't worry, ” He shushed, crouching down beside me. He wrapped his hands carefully around the thorn-less spots of the branch before lifting it up.

“Careful-,”

A loud scream came reluctantly from my throat as he pushed the branch off of me. The thorns were dragged out, but ripped off parts of my skin along. I cried in agony as the trickly feeling of hot blood pouring down my face and knuckles overwhelmed me. My campbag was pulled slightly above my back before the thorns were pulled out from the fabric and it fell on top of me again. I hissed and clenched my jaw tightly, trying to hold back all the moans and grumbles that fought their way out of my mouth.

“Shit - Jesus Claire - I’m so sorry!” Thomas said, giving me a bewildered and guilty look right after he threw the branch away. His entire face was covered in panic, his gun shaking in his hands as he hesitated to touch me.

My eyes watered instantly as the burning feeling of fresh wounds over my face and knuckles became more intense. “I'm so fucking sorry - I didn't know!” he gushed, wrapping his arms around my torso and slowly lifting me up to my feet.

“Claire!” Harry's terrified voice echoed through the woods. I looked up through my teary eyes to find his scared green ones, his lips apart as he ran towards me, gun swinging back and forth as it hung over his shoulder.

“Ah! Ah!” I cried, my voice piercing through the strong sounds of the guns firing and the zombie's screams. I noticed Cole watching me in bewilderment, while Niall kept turning his head from one side to the other with each gunshot, puzzled as to what was actually going on.

“What the hell happened to her?!” Harry snarled, grabbing Thoma's collar into a fist, green flaming eyes burning into brown scared ones.

“The branch - it had horns and I-I didn't know!” Thomas stammered in panic, his grip around me loosening.

Harry left a grunt as he removed his fist from Thoma's shirt before he turned to me. “Come on,” he urged, his tone sharp yet worried as he wrapped his arms around me and led me towards Niall and Cole. “You’re gonna be okay, breathe in, baby. ” he said, looking around at the rest of the boys who kept shooting the running zombies.