Chapter 38

Love is a feeling...

~•~ Chapter 38 ~•~

We had been walking for 3 hours now, with two stops of 20 minutes rest as Harry said we need to get to the hills as soon as possible. The sky was colored in a deep blue color, with a few white clouds peeking through. The woods were quiet, too quiet. We could only hear the birds chirping as they flew above us and a few grasshoppers around. I suppose the fire caused a lot of wild animals to run away.

My knee had started to hurt an hour ago, but I didn't want to bitch about it and make everyone stop. I know Harry would order a pause immediately just for me, but I wouldn't like to seem selfish or anything. I could still manage walking, but it was just a little more difficult.

Everybody was silent for the past hour. Ed was leading, his face dropped to the ground with anger and annoyance but he had no guts to spat at us anything. It felt so good seeing him coward back. For once, his stupid cocky attitude was gone for a long period of time. Cole was by his side, looking around innocently.

Harry and Louis were behind them, exchanging a few words then and there with the dog walking beside them, happily wagging its tail as it sniffed on the ground.  They seemed genuinely fine. Harry had a better mood than earlier in the morning, all thanks to Louis. It kind of saddened me how Louis could switch Harry's mood in a heartbeat with less effort than I do, but on the other hand, I felt incredibly happy for it. Louis has been by Harry's side longer than I have, it's logical for them to have a strong bond and know each other better.

Zayn was beside me, smoking a cigarette, a lighter in his other hand as he walked, crossbow tightly hung on his back, along with his bag. He looked calm and collected, absolutely unfazed with anything that's going on generally around him. His words came back to my ears. Once you accept death, nothing scares you.

I envy him, I really do. He has accepted death openly, even for himself and others, while I fear I won't be able to protect anyone and eventually lose them in a split second. He is always so calm, I wish I could hold it all together more often just like him. When I was all alone in the streets a year ago, when the apocalypse started, I was in shock, but my skills and strength held me on my feet. I was more controlled back then, because I didn't have anyone else to lose. But now, I have.

“No, you're a dick, Niall, this time you are.” Liam's tight voice dragged me out of my thoughts, making me look down at thw ground as I concentrated on their conversation behind me.

“He could've asked me for an advice.” Niall claimed gruffly, referring to Harry's mistake assumption on the bombs. I pulled my lips inwardly, fighting the urge to say anything bitter towards Niall.

“He didn't have the time - you were also half asleep when the zombies attacked!” Liam stated impatiently. I could tell he was already over with this subject.

“That's not an excuse - we could've died-,“

“Cut it out,” Zayn suddenly snapped, turning to give Niall a stern look. “We are all alive, get it over your head.” He added in a dry tone, making me mentally pat his shoulder for stating the most important obvious thing.

“Barely.” Niall murmured bitterly, having me roll my eyes.

“Stop it, Niall.” Thomas groaned in a low tone, walking next to Liam, a banana in his hand. “You need to get laid, you're getting bitter by the day.” He added jokingly, chuckling at his own words.

“Well then, bent over.” Niall spat. I gasped loudly, locking amused eyes with Zayn before laughing out loud, Liam joining us. Thomas had his lips parted in shock, while the rest of the boys turned to look at us in confusion.