90. Lord, Seek Me

Have you ever considered what it is that shapes your understanding of the world and how life works? Throughout your life, you are influenced by your family, friends, education, travel, various forms of media, books, movies and television shows. In a sense, they all impact us and transform us in one way or another.

In these final verses of Psalm 119, we see how fervently the Psalmist desired that his thoughts be transformed according to God's Word. This thought is echoed by the apostle Paul's words to the church at Rome:

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."
‭‭Romans‬ ‭12:2‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Our minds so need the transforming power that God gives us, as His Spirit brings understanding of His Word. As believers, we need to be wise in what and who we are allowing to influence our thinking. We must even be careful with the kind of Christian online material we expose ourselves to! This is why it's vital that we read and know the Bible ourselves so we get to know God personally. Throughout this whole chapter, it has become very clear that the Psalmist knows Him quite well due to the long hours he has spent in reading the Word. It drives him to his knees in prayer:

"May my cry come before you, Lord;
give me understanding according to your word.
May my supplication come before you;
deliver me according to your promise.
May my lips overflow with praise,
for you teach me your decrees.
May my tongue sing of your word,
for all your commands are righteous.
May your hand be ready to help me,
for I have chosen your precepts.
I long for your salvation, Lord,
and your law gives me delight.
Let me live that I may praise you,
and may your laws sustain me.
I have strayed like a lost sheep.
Seek your servant,
for I have not forgotten your commands."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭119:169-176‬ ‭NIV‬‬

It's interesting that in this Psalm, the Psalmist is actually praying for his prayers —May my supplication come before you, as he knows how vital they are! We see again and again, that every request is made according to God's Word. Are your prayers like this or are they like a child, selfishly demanding their own way? It makes such a difference when we ask in Jesus' Name!

I love the way the Psalmist asks, May my lips overflow with praise, for you teach me your decrees. It's a natural response of our heart to want to praise God when we have immersed ourselves in His Word. Knowing the accuracy and purity of the Word, leads to spontaneous praise —May my tongue sing of your word, for all your commands are righteous.

The Psalmist felt he could boldly ask for God's help, because of his choice to love and keep the Word of God. May your hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen your precepts. His heart is focussed on salvation and this clearly is connected to the Word —I long for your salvation, Lord, and your law gives me delight.

So we see as the Psalmist wraps up this amazing Psalm, he has a great need for God and is totally dependent on Him. The fact that he loves the Word and is so dedicated to it, has not made him more spiritually independent, but more spiritually dependent on God. He needed and is not afraid to ask for; understanding (v169), deliverance (v170), the ability to worship God in the right way (vs171-172), power to live an upright life (vs173-174) and finally strength in order to persevere (v175).

It seems fitting that the final thought we are left with, is not one of pride because the Psalmist studies and knows the Word so well. No it's one of sheer humility, as he likens himself to a lost sheep, so in need of his Master to seek him! Be assured that God does seek after us through His Word. His Word encourages, strengthens, rebukes, helps, teaches and protects us. How precious it is, to be able to come and like the Psalmist, humbly ask the Lord to seek after us today! May you be greatly blessed as you dedicate yourself to spending time in His Word each day!

Pray:

Heavenly Father,

I humbly come before You and thank You for seeking me out through Your Word as I have read Psalm 119. Thank You for drawing me closer to You and setting my feet on the right path. Your ways are safe so I am confident to continue on running toward the prize. Thank You that the way is so much brighter with You leading me by Your Word. I am so blessed by Your endless love and grace, revealed to me through each verse I meditate on.

Thank You for sending Jesus, the Word who became flesh! Thank You for the Salvation He secured as He died on the cross for me. Thank You for healing and forgiveness brought by His blood. Thank You for Your Holy Spirit, the Comforter, who lives inside of me.

Lord please keep me in step with Your purposes for my life. Open my mouth to praise You and speak boldly to those around me, so they too would follow You all the days of their life. Transform my thoughts, moment by moment so I can bring glory to Your Name, until I come to be with You in Heaven forever!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Thank you for journeying with me in Off and Running. I hope you have been blessed as you have pressed into the Word each day. I am beginning a new devotion book tomorrow called Health and Wholeness. It's a devotion that will take a close look at what God has to say to us in order to live our life to the full.
Hope you can join me,
Blessings,
Helen Louise 💗