42. Grace

Strength and success are words we all like to associate with ourselves. We like to think of ourselves as being increasingly self sufficient but what if this prevented us from experiencing God's grace in all its fullness? What if experiencing the very opposite of strength was what we needed, in order to know the power of God in our lives?

God's power is actually made perfect in our weakness. Relying only on our own strength, we would possibly become filled with pride and have a big head! In 2 Corinthians 12, we read of how Paul was given the 'gift' of a handicap to keep him in constant touch with his limitations. Through this, the enemy tried to get him down but instead, this weakness just pushed him to his knees! In a way, it would have prevented Paul from walking around with a high and mighty attitude!

Of course at first Paul didn't think of this weakness as a gift and begged God to remove it three times. However God was clear in His response, saying "My grace is enough —it's all you need! My strength comes into its own in your weakness."

Once Paul heard this, he was glad to carry on! He stopped focusing on the handicap and began appreciating it as a gift. He allowed Christ's strength to move in on his weakness! This changed everything for Paul, allowing him to take limitations in his stride and with a positive attitude. It didn't matter what the limitation looked like, whether it was abuse, accidents, infirmities, calamities, perplexities, distress, opposition, bad breaks —he just let Christ take over! So the weaker he was, the stronger he became!

How are things looking in your life? Are there areas of limitation that have been getting you down? Perhaps it's time for a change of perspective! Celebrate those weaknesses because then you will be able to sense the power of Christ living in you and begin to rely on His grace.

"Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭12:7-10‬ ‭NIV‬‬
‭‭
Prayer:

Heavenly Father,

This is a difficult topic because I really don't like to feel weak. Somehow the enemy manages to influence my response with feeling sorry for myself or complaining. I tend to forget that because of Your grace, I can rely on the power of Jesus living in me!

Thank You that Your grace is always more than enough and Your power always finds its full expression through whatever weakness I am facing. Help me to not feel defeated by my weakness, but delighted as I continue to trust in Your strength! May my weakness become a portal to Your mighty power!
‭‭
In Jesus' Name,
Amen.

* God's Grace is always sufficient for me in every situation or circumstance
* God's power is made perfect in my weakness
* I will boast gladly about my weaknesses so Christ's power will rest on me
* When I am weak in human strength, then I am strong in divine strength