63. Be Alert!

I have often watched my cat in pursuit of a small lizard in the garden. Once she spots her prey, her eyes are glued on it and she follows it relentlessly! Finally, crouching down low, she will move toward it very slowly before taking the opportunity to pounce on the unaware reptile, trapping it in her paws!

Does the lizard just surrender to its captor? No, it resists the cat, tricking it by releasing the end part of it's tail while it wriggles free and scuttles away. This strategy leaves the cat wondering what happened, as it was so sure it was successful and ready for the kill!

Like the lizard, you and I need to be alert, ready to resist the enemy at all times. We can't afford to get complacent! How do we do this? We are reminded that we must stand firm in the faith, rooted in Jesus, established and immovable! As we do this, we can take heart that we are not the only ones who are being targeted by the enemy as all fellow believers go through the same experiences. Together we must rely on every promise in God's Word, asking the Holy Spirit to give us eyes to watch for imminent attacks.

"Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings."
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭5:8-9‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Pray:

Heavenly Father,

Thank You for reminding me today that I have an enemy who seeks to devour me! Sometimes I can get complacent and forget he exists! Help me to stand firm in my faith by spending time with You each day in prayer and by reading Your Word. I know I need to be ready to speak Your Word, which is the sword of the Spirit, so I can stand against the enemy! Thank You that You have equipped me with strategies for every situation I will come up against today. I choose to be clothed in the armour you have provided for me.

I will stand firm with:
* the belt of truth buckled around my waist
* the breastplate of righteousness in place
* my feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace
* the shield of faith, so I can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one
* the helmet of salvation
* the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
‭‭(Ephesians‬ ‭6:14-17‬)

With Your help, I am on guard and alert! I will not be defeated!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.