13. What are You Carrying?

Have you ever been on a long walk or run with a pack on your back or maybe a heavy bag? It may have felt okay to carry the extra weight at the start but it doesn't take long for it to feel as though it's getting heavier and heavier and step by step you feel it weighing you down until you are actually in pain! Eventually you are so burdened by the weight that you wonder if you can go on. Perhaps the only thing that keeps you going, is the hope that maybe you are nearly there and you'll finally be able to lay it down.

Does that sound like a familiar scenario in your life? Too often we can be doing life weighed down by burdens and cares that may have been easy to carry in the beginning but the longer we hold onto them, refusing to lay them down, the more arduous our journey becomes. Why would we make life so difficult for ourselves when God is there and wants to carry those cares and burdens?

As you read these verses, consider the things that may be weighing you down. Take a good honest look at them and decide what you are going to do with them. If only we would remember to lay aside every weight at the foot of the cross, then we would enter into that wonderful rest and the journey would be so much easier!

"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken."
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭55:22‬ ‭NIV‬‬

""Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.""
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭11:28-30‬ ‭NIV‬‬

"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭12:1-2‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Prayer:

Heavenly Father,

I admit I have been carrying way too many burdens! I seem to forget they are there until they become so heavy, they even begin to impact my health. Thank You for the invitation to leave all my cares and anxieties at Your feet. Thank You for sending Jesus to die on the cross for me and for His measureless grace that continually strengthens me as I put my trust in Him.

Thank You that You are gently asking me today, 'Are you weary, carrying a heavy burden? Then come to me. I will refresh your life, for I am your oasis. Simply join your life with mine. Learn my ways and you'll discover that I'm gentle, humble, easy to please. You will find refreshment and rest in me. For all that I require of you will be pleasant and easy to bear.' (Matthew 11:28-30 TPT)

Lord, here are the things I know I need to lay aside today ............................ (it may be a good idea to write a list as you become aware of each fear or anxiety) I lay them all at the foot of the cross because I do not want to carry them anymore!

Thank You that now I can run life's marathon, unhindered! How wonderfully light I feel right now as I step off into the day!

Today I will remember:

God will sustain me through my life journey. Psalm 55:22

He gives me rest when I come to Him. Matthew 11:28-30

I will lay aside every weight. Hebrews 12:1-2

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.