26. Be Prepared!

If you have ever taken a walk through hilly countryside, you will appreciate how much extra effort it takes to travel even a short distance. It might be quick and relatively easy getting down a hill but once you are there in a valley, getting out is a lot of work as the only way out is up a steep, unavoidable hill!

Imagine that valley suddenly being raised up and those hills, amazingly becoming like level ground! That was the very image the prophet Isaiah foretold —valleys were to be raised up, mountains and hills made low and things were generally to be prepared for smooth travels.

At the time this was written, this was a familiar concept, as when eastern princes travelled through the country, the way was prepared for them and any hindrances were removed. This prophecy was of course brought to pass many years later when John the Baptist began preparing the way for Jesus' coming ministry, but in this case, the preparation was in people's hearts. You may recognise the first verse of the passage, as it is echoed in Mark 1:3.

In a sense this preparation continues today in our hearts, as the great 17th century Bible commentator, Matthew Henry expressed: "May the Lord prepare our hearts by the teaching of His Word and the convictions of his Spirit, that high and proud thoughts may be brought down, good desires planted, crooked and rugged tempers made straight and softened, and every hinderance removed, that we may be ready for His will on earth, and prepared for His heavenly kingdom."

As you read, ask the Holy Spirit to prepare your heart so you may do His will and be prepared for your forever home. Don't hold back! Allow God to mould you and remove anything that is not worthy of a life lived for Him. Be prepared!

"A voice of one calling: "In the wilderness prepare the way for the Lord; make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be raised up, every mountain and hill made low; the rough ground shall become level, the rugged places a plain. And the glory of the Lord will be revealed, and all people will see it together. For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.""
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭40:3-5‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Prayer:

Heavenly Father,

Thank You for drawing my attention to this very important prophecy, that found its fulfilment in John's ministry, before Jesus began to teach and preach. Thank You for Your Word which continues to be taught today. I am so blessed to have heard the Good News of the salvation all people can have through Jesus' death and resurrection. I am incredibly blessed to be part of Your family but I pray that as I continue to hear Your Word preached, Your Holy Spirit would prepare my heart, so I can do Your will and be ready for Your Heavenly Kingdom.

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.