37. Be What You Were Made To Be

Being part of a church can be wonderful as long as we always remember that we are essentially part of the body of Christ. Just as an actual body has many different parts with specific functions, so a church is made up with many people who have different gifts to bring for the functioning of Christ's body.  Each part is necessary and can't function well without the other.

Paul explains it so clearly and puts believers in their place by stating we must not build an image of self importance but leave self promotion behind.  We need to assess our own worth using our God given faith as the standard of measurement, in order to have appropriate self esteem and be real about our true value.

Comparing ourselves to others just isn't going to be helpful at all but appreciating how each person is unique and contributes in their own gifting, is a healthier way to live as part of the body of Christ. Essentially we just need to be what we were made to be!

"For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.

We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully."
‭‭Romans‬ ‭12:3-8‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Pray:

Heavenly Father,

Thank You for this word which reminds me to keep a check on my pride and helps me to see how amazing the body of Christ is. I am so grateful for each one who uses their gift to serve in my church. Thank You for the gifts You have given me — please help me to be what I was made to be! Please guide me as I use my gifts, show me if there are new gifts You want me to use and keep me from envying the gifts that others possess.

May I humbly serve You and bring glory to Your Name.
Amen.