70. Wholehearted Commitment

What is the greatest passion of your life? Would you say that it takes up a good percentage of your time? Do you find yourself thinking about it and seeking after it wholeheartedly? Looking again at Psalm 119, we see the psalmist's persistent passion for the Word and for God Himself. The following verse speaks of 100% commitment and dedication to God —he does not want to slip up!

"I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭119:10‬ ‭NIV‬‬

The beautiful thing I see here is that the Psalmist didn't view the Scriptures as just some textbook but reading them was how he sought after and met God Himself! His desire was not only to obey God's laws, but to commune with Him in person!

I remember as a child, I learned a song at Sunday School called 'Hide God's Word in Your Heart'. As I sang this little chorus, I would picture an actual Bible somehow being placed inside my heart!

"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭119:11‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I wondered why the Bible needed to be hidden but assumed that if it were inside of me, no one could get it and take it away! Eventually I came to understand that as I heard the Scriptures week after week and began to read them for myself, they became ingrained in both my mind and heart. Verses like this one were sung about so I would always be able to remember them. 'Memory Verses' were also given each week but I had no idea how important memorising the Word of God would be! When it is readily available in my mind, then I can recall it in moments of need!

The Psalmist states that hiding God's Word in your heart also has the very important purpose of being a defence against sin. Meditating on this verse has made me aware that perhaps I need to continue, intentionally memorising the Scriptures!

"Praise be to you, Lord;
teach me your decrees.
With my lips I recount all the laws
that come from your mouth.
I rejoice in following your statutes
as one rejoices in great riches.
I meditate on your precepts
and consider your ways.
I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭119:12-16‬ ‭NIV‬‬

It would seem that the Psalmist understood the importance of not just silently reading or hearing the Word of God but also saying it! Declaring God's Word in this way, showed another aspect of his relationship with God and his devotion to Him.

Speaking God's Word is powerful and must not be neglected! When we make the Scriptures a natural part of our conversations, we bring God glory as we witness to others and all the while, we are strengthening ourselves!

The Psalmist powerfully declares he will recount, rejoice in, meditate on, consider and delight in God's Word. He vows not to forget it! This surely is a pattern for us to follow!

Join me in praying these verses from The Message version of our passage today:

Heavenly Father,

I'm single-minded in pursuit of You;
don't let me miss the road signs You've posted.
I've banked Your promises in the vault of my heart
so I won't sin myself bankrupt.
Be blessed, GOD;
train me in Your ways of wise living.
I'll transfer to my lips
all the counsel that comes from Your mouth;
I delight far more in what You tell me about living
than in gathering a pile of riches.
I ponder every morsel of wisdom from You,
I attentively watch how You've done it.
I relish everything You've told me of life,
I won't forget a word of it.
‭‭
I love You and seek to bring You glory,
Amen.