72. The Turnaround

Where do you turn when you are feeling low or depressed? Many times people try to 'self medicate' and this could be by doing things to take their attention away from the problem. It may start with something positive like exercising but sometimes people choose the way of overindulging or overspending, then perhaps using alcohol or drugs to make things seem better. Of course professional help is best and seeking the guidance of a doctor is important, however, as Christians, we have another lifeline!

"I am laid low in the dust;
preserve my life according to your word."
Psalm 119:25 NIV

This stanza of Psalm 119 begins with the psalmist in a very bad way! When he says he is laid low in the dust, he is most likely making reference to feeling close to death, "By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.""
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭3:19‬ ‭NIV‬‬

In this place where he felt so low, whether spiritually, emotionally or physically, he calls out to God to revive him and maintain the life that is left in him, according to His Word. This reminds me of the power of God's Word to bring revival. If you have times of feeling in low spirits, go to the Word of God —it is like the Emergency Room for the soul!

"I gave an account of my ways and you answered me;
teach me your decrees.
Cause me to understand the way of your precepts,
that I may meditate on your wonderful deeds."
Psalm 119:26-27 NIV

The psalmist gave an account of his ways. He honestly laid everything bare before the Lord and He answered him! It's really important to talk to God about what is happening in our lives and look to Him as our teacher.  We will only truly understand His ways when we come with open, teachable hearts.

"My soul is weary with sorrow;
strengthen me according to your word."
Psalm 119:28 NIV

Have you ever felt the weariness that comes from grief or sadness? Again the only place to go for immediate relief and strengthening, is the Bible! We are so blessed to always have it in the palm of our hand through the app on our phones!

"Keep me from deceitful ways;
be gracious to me and teach me your law."
Psalm 119:29 NIV

The psalmist knew his natural tendency was toward lying but with God's help and His law, He would be able to stay on the right path. How blessed are we to live on the other side of the Cross and to have immediate forgiveness for all our deceitful ways! We also have the Holy Spirit living inside of us, who helps us at all times and guides us in our understanding of the Word of God.

"I have chosen the way of faithfulness;
I have set my heart on your laws.
I hold fast to your statutes, Lord;
do not let me be put to shame.
I run in the path of your commands,
for you have broadened my understanding."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭119:30-32‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Things were looking so much better for the psalmist! At the beginning of the stanza, he was clinging to the dust but by the end, he is clearly clinging to the Word of God, having chosen the way of faithfulness!  This is indeed a great turn around! What about you? Take some time to consider where you are at. You may not be laid low as the psalmist was but perhaps you may need to meditate on this passage and ask God to broaden Your understanding. He loves to come and speak with You! Allow His unending love and grace to wash over you now, to refresh and revive you.

Pray:

Heavenly Father,

Day after day, I am so blessed as I open Your Word and dig into Your truths. It really helps to see that the psalmist's situation was changed, as he took time to be real before You and as he chose to look to Your Word.

Today I choose to obey Your truth and walk in the light of all that You teach me. Lord, don't allow me to be derailed by deceitful ways and make a mess of my life! I choose to cling to Your commands and follow them as closely as I can because You know what is best for me. Today I will run after You with delight in my heart!

With Your Spirit's help,
Amen.