84. Expectation

When you are waiting for a train to arrive, do you find yourself staring into the distance in the direction you expect it to come from? The fact that we keep turning our head to look, shows that we have faith that it will come. We have faith before it's actual arrival.

In our reading from Psalm 119 today, we see the Psalmist waiting in expectation —looking for God's salvation and righteous promise. His waiting expectation demonstrates that faith came before experience. He was willing to continue in faith until the experience came, waiting as long as it took! Just like a person looking for that train, he keeps on looking until he feels like his eyes are worn out!

Have you been waiting for a particular prayer to be answered? Don't give up! Keep looking expectantly, believing God will send the answer along very soon!

"I have done what is righteous and just;
do not leave me to my oppressors.
Ensure your servant's well-being;
do not let the arrogant oppress me.
My eyes fail, looking for your salvation,
looking for your righteous promise.
Deal with your servant
according to your love and teach me your decrees.
I am your servant;
give me discernment that I may understand your statutes.
It is time for you to act, Lord;
your law is being broken.
Because I love your commands more than gold,
more than pure gold,
and because I consider all your precepts right,
I hate every wrong path."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭119:121-128‬ ‭NIV‬‬

As the Psalmist waited, he continued to learn. He understood that when God teaches His people, it is evidence of His mercy. Sometimes we find ourselves learning a lot as we wait for God to answer our prayers.

Again in this passage, the Psalmist calls himself a 'servant' of God. Through this, we are able to see that he understood he had obligations to God. Perhaps he also surmised that God, as his Master, had obligations to him! Perhaps this is why he is able to boldly ask for understanding!

He goes on being even more bold as he tells God 'It is time for You to act.' Perhaps at times, this has been the cry of your heart too! Many who walk with God would understand this desperate plea when they have been waiting for a long time!

Of course we don't know the reasons behind God's timing. Sometimes we have thought God must act now, but in His wisdom and glory He worked later. Yet all we can do is pray and continue on in faith, believing in His promises just like we would believe the train timetable and keep looking for the train.

Keep on the path God has set you on and resist the urge to take matters into your own hands, in order to get your answer. Trust God's timing, He knows the perfect time to act because he loves you and always wants what is best for you!

Pray:

Heavenly Father,

I come to You today with confident expectation that You will answer my prayers. Thank You for Your love and great interest in everything that is going on in my life. Help me to remember that You always keep Your promises and You will work things out for my good.

As I think of Your answers to prayers in the past, I am reminded that Your timing is always perfect! Thank You for the times You have answered 'no' so You could set me in the right direction.

Give me patience Lord, as I continue to look for Your answers and may I continue to serve You faithfully and seek Your understanding,
In Jesus' Name,
Amen.