49. The King of Kings

Have you ever thought about what it would be like to be a king or queen? Young children often like to role play wearing royal robes and tiaras. Fairytales tell of young maidens finding handsome princes, of good kings and evil queens, which isn't surprising considering the fact that until the 20th century and the upheaval of the world wars, many countries came under the rule or reign of some sort of monarchy.

God's chosen people the Israelites, asked Him for a king in place of the judges who had previously been their guide, upholding standards in the land.  After the rule of King Saul, the first appointed king, God promised David his successor, that someone from his family would always sit on the throne of Israel.  A very important Kingdom was in the future!

The anointed king of Israel was to be a righteous person who set a standard by which the nation was to live because it was through this king that God would express His rule. Sadly, many of Israel's kings were unfaithful and wicked! They sometimes started off well but ended up following the example of nearby pagan kings who worshiped idols.

Even though these wicked kings would eventually lose their throne because of their unfaithfulness, God maintained and kept his promise that a Messiah would come. He would be very different to the kings that had served before Him —He would be perfectly righteous! The prophets Isaiah and Jeremiah spoke of His coming:

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭9:6‬ ‭NIV‬‬

""'The days are coming,' declares the Lord, 'when I will fulfill the good promise I made to the people of Israel and Judah. "'In those days and at that time I will make a righteous Branch sprout from David's line; he will do what is just and right in the land. In those days Judah will be saved and Jerusalem will live in safety. This is the name by which it will be called: The Lord Our Righteous Savior.'"
‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭33:14-16‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Finally, hundreds of years later, the prophetic words would come to pass! When the angel foretold the birth of Jesus to Mary, he confirmed Christ's birth would fulfil God's promise to David. The promise was that He would reign and His Kingdom would never end!

"But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over Jacob's descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.""
‭‭Luke‬ ‭1:30-33‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Pray:

Heavenly Father,

Your Word is so amazing in the way it tells the story of Your people, so I can clearly see Your plans and purposes throughout history. None of the kings I have read about in the Old Testament were ever going to be as righteous as You are. Even the very best of them made mistakes and this led the people astray. Thank You for keeping Your promise and sending a King who would be the perfect example and would establish a Kingdom that would never end!

Thank You Jesus that You were willing to leave Heaven, making Yourself nothing by becoming a servant instead of living as a king. You humbled Yourself by being obedient to Your Father, enduring death on the cross so You could take the punishment for all my sins.

Jesus, I am so blessed by all You have done for me! You are the Name above every other name! Today I choose to bow and acknowledge You as Lord of all —King of kings! You have made such a difference in my life!

For the Kingdom, power and glory are Yours,
Now and forever,
Amen.