14. No Worries

Imagine waking up and not having a worry in the world! The dictionary meaning of worry is: to feel or cause to feel anxious or troubled about actual or potential problems. If we examine our thoughts, we would most likely see that many of the things that cause us anxiety, are only potential problems! Why would we waste time and possibly forgo sleep on something that may not even happen? Does worrying about actual problems ever solve them?

Anxiety is a huge problem in our society today but even more so right now due to the many changes that have occurred as a result of the Coronavirus. People of all ages have found themselves being concerned about their future, even when they are well, still have a job and don't have to worry about where their next meal is coming from or whether they will have somewhere to live or enough clothes to wear.

People try many ways to beat anxiety, finding it helpful to exercise, spend time in nature, use special breathing techniques. Many find it very helpful to seek professional help in the form of a counsellor.

A wide range of self-help books have been written on the topic of worry but none give the assurance that the following Bible passage does. Jesus speaks passionately on the topic of worry and suggests an entirely different direction for our thoughts. As you read the following verses, ask yourself, what is the one thing I need to do to put things in perspective?

""Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6:25-34‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Notice that Jesus acknowledges that troubles will come but we just need to live one day at a time! The thing to chase after is God's Kingdom and His righteousness. Ultimately we have no need to be worried because we have the assurance of God's generous supply:

"And my God will liberally supply (fill until full) your every need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus."
‭‭PHILIPPIANS‬ ‭4:19‬ ‭AMP‬‬

Prayer:

Heavenly Father,

I praise You for all of Your abundant blessings in this past day and for the many prayers You have answered. What a reassuring thing it is, to be able to come to You in prayer each day and talk to You about the things that concern me! Thank You for the reminder to first aim at and strive after Your kingdom and Your righteousness, that is Your way of doing things and being right. Thank You for the wonderful promise that then all the other things I need will be taken care of as well!

Lord I confess that I do get caught up in worrying about things, often things that will never even happen. Please help me to centre my thoughts on Your agenda and remember Your promise of provision.  As I see the flowers, grass and birds around me today, may they prompt me to remember Your goodness and give thanks that You supply everything I need!

Today I will remember:

I am very valuable to God. Matthew 6:26

He knows what I need. Matthew 6:32

I seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness. Matthew 6:33

God will supply all my needs according to His riches in glory in Jesus Christ. Philippians 4:19

‭I am so blessed! Why would I worry?
In Jesus' Name,
Amen.