38. Who do You Run To?

We all have those moments when it seems like everything and everyone is coming against us. Despite our resourcefulness and determination to keep going, we just feel like we want to run and perhaps hide from the world under the covers! But what happens next? Do you spend time going over and over whatever happened, feeling increasingly anxious and fearing the future? It doesn't sound like a very productive way to deal with your issues and yet I'm sure we've all done it! How different it is, when we go and find rest in the shadow of the Almighty as David did on more than one occasion!

"Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him. For he will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease. He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭91:1-4‬ ‭NLT‬‬

The interesting thing here is that David didn't have to run far to find this amazing shelter because he always lived there! God was his trusted place of refuge and safety, ever ready to rescue him and protect him, like a bird taking care of their young, covering them with their feathers, sheltering them with their wings. In addition to this imagery, we see that God's faithful promises are our armour and protection!

"If you make the Lord your refuge, if you make the Most High your shelter, no evil will conquer you; no plague will come near your home. For he will order his angels to protect you wherever you go. They will hold you up with their hands so you won't even hurt your foot on a stone."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭91:9-12‬ ‭NLT‬‬

So here are some promises we can hold onto today - all from Psalm 91:

* When the Lord is my refuge and shelter, no evil will conquer me!
* No plague will come near my home.
* God's angels will protect me wherever I go.
* God will rescue me because I love Him.
*God will protect me because I trust in His Name.
* When I call on Him, He will answer me.
* God will be with me in trouble.
* God will honour me.
* God will reward me with long life.
* I will enjoy the fullness of His salvation.

"The Lord says, "I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue and honor them. I will reward them with a long life and give them my salvation.""
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭91:14-16‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Prayer:

Heavenly Father,

You are so good! I love to pull the covers over my head and remember that I am always dwelling in the secret place of the Most High! This time alone with You is so special as I remember who You are and all my worries seem to be put into perspective!

Right now, I am hiding in Your strength God. You are the hope that holds me firmly and the stronghold that continuously shelters me. I have great confidence in You! Please continue to rescue me from every hidden trap of the enemy for he is always wandering around looking for someone to devour! I know I am safe with Your arms wrapped around me, protecting me always.

Whenever I am afraid or overwhelmed, I know I can run under Your covering and hide. Thank You for keeping me from all harm and answering my cry for help every time I pray. Thank You that throughout all my days ahead I can expect to find and feel Your presence even in my times of greatest pressure or trouble.

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.