87. Prayer

Have you ever stopped to think of how blessed you are to be able to pray? To step aside from the troubles of the day and call out to God is truly an amazing gift! The Psalmist knew this very well and in a sense, this stanza tells us several things about prayer.

"I call with all my heart; answer me, Lord,
and I will obey your decrees.
I call out to you; save me
and I will keep your statutes.
I rise before dawn and cry for help;
I have put my hope in your word.
My eyes stay open through the watches of the night,
that I may meditate on your promises.
Hear my voice in accordance with your love;
preserve my life, Lord, according to your laws.
Those who devise wicked schemes are near,
but they are far from your law.
Yet you are near, Lord,
and all your commands are true.
Long ago I learned from your statutes
that you established them to last forever."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭119:145-152‬ ‭NIV‬‬

So we see the Psalmist showing us this pattern for prayer. First we see that he prayed with his whole heart —it wasn't just a case of a few words off the top of his head, no, he was fully engaged! We can of course send up a brief prayer throughout the day but God loves when we pray fervently from the heart.

We see that the Psalmist prayed to be saved from whatever situation he was in. There was obviously a real danger at the time and he needed God's protection and covering. We are so blessed to be able to ask for protection too! It's not always that we need saving from physical danger but sometimes the threat is from within as it's more of a spiritual battle. Remember to put on your armour as Paul suggests in Ephesians 6!

We see from this passage, when the Psalmist prayed —before the dawning of the new day. While it is not essential to have your quiet time first thing in the morning, it really sets the tone for the day. It's often the only time you can find when you can really be all alone and focus on God.

The Psalmist's prayer wasn't brief —we see he stayed awake through the watches of the night! Sometimes we need to press into the Word and pray since we can't sleep due to anxiety over past events or those ahead of us. It is so good to stop tossing and turning and talk to God instead!

It's beautiful to notice the grounds of the Psalmist's request —in accordance with Your love and according to Your laws. This is how we come to our Heavenly Father too! His love allows us to come and pray in Jesus' Name!

How wonderful it is to see how God answered his prayer —You are near, O LORD! It is obvious that as the Psalmist drew near to God, he became aware of God's very presence with him. We never need to feel far away from God —just seek Him with all your heart and He will be there when you need Him!

Finally, we see the Psalmist's testimony to answered prayer  —Long ago I learned from your statutes that you established them to last forever. He is able to look back and see how God has taught him in the past. It is always a blessing to see how far we have come! This verse also looks to the future as the things of God are eternal!

Pray:

Heavenly Father,

Thank You so much for reminding me today how special prayer is! It is such a privilege to come to You wholeheartedly, asking for Your protection in the day ahead. Lord it is easy to be overwhelmed by the cares of yesterday or what lies ahead but I will trust in You to cover me and so I leave all my burdens at Your feet.

As I pray, I put on my spiritual armour so I am prepared. Help me to always start my day with You, no matter how busy I am. Teach me to pray in the early hours of the morning and bring my requests to You instead of tossing and turning throughout the night.

Thank You that You love me and delight in answering me according to Your Word. Thank You for all that You have shown me in the past and that I can look forward to great things in the future as Your love endures forever!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.