73. Guided

Since the invention of the internet, the way people acquire information, has changed dramatically! With such an abundance of visual media available, many people's lives have been changed too and not necessarily in a good way! Sadly, many find themselves unwilling or unable to turn away their eyes from worthless things that pop up on their screens. We are all faced with an endless river of questionable things which not only occupy our eyes and time on a daily basis, but also our heart and minds.

As we look through the next stanza of Psalm 119, consider how the balance swings in your life. We all desperately need God's guidance, as the strategies of the enemy become craftier! Spending time in God's Word has never been more important!

"Teach me, Lord, the way of your decrees,
that I may follow it to the end.
Give me understanding,
so that I may keep your law
and obey it with all my heart.
Direct me in the path of your commands,
for there I find delight."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭119:33-35‬ ‭NIV‬‬

In this stanza, the Psalmist stresses a great desire to keep both the way and Word of God. He directly asks God to teach him, so he will persevere and keep His decrees to the end. Only when we have our hearts changed by God, are we able to pray this prayer. On our own, we are unable to keep the way and Word of God, and certainly wouldn't desire to keep it to the end! As Philippians 2:13 reminds us, "...it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose." The Psalmist, having received the will, now prays that he may be doing it!

I love his confidence that God had spoken and that His Word could be understood with a prayerful heart and mind. It's clear that even with a great delight and desire for God's Word, we cannot walk in God's path, unless we have God's empowering!

"Turn my heart toward your statutes
and not toward selfish gain.
Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
preserve my life according to your word."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭119:36-37‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Here we see that the Psalmist understood that selfish gain or coveting, was a threat to walking in God's way. When our hearts are turned towards God's Word, it helps us to be satisfied with His provision for us.

The Psalmist could see that some things in our world, comparatively speaking, are worthless. They have no value for eternity and perhaps little value in our present age, because they do no good. These are things that do not last, are not helpful to anyone else, don't build faith, hope, or love, distract us from things that are truly worthy and they have nothing to do with Jesus!

Here we see the Psalmist praying that God would empower and enable him to turn his eyes and attention away from such things. Take time to ask God to show you the things you need to turn away from and shine a light on what you should be giving your attention to.

"Fulfil your promise to your servant,
so that you may be feared.
Take away the disgrace I dread,
for your laws are good.
How I long for your precepts!
In your righteousness preserve my life."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭119:38-40‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Pray:

Heavenly Father,

Thank You so much for the truth of Your Word and the amazing guidance it brings to my life! Reveal Your ways to me and give me an understanding heart, so I can know You and obey Your truth.

Guide me always in paths that please You Lord. May my heart bow before your words of wisdom and not to the wealth of this world. Help me to turn my eyes toward only those things which are true. I long for the wonderful life that comes as I walk in Your paths!

Throughout this day ahead, reassure me of Your promises. I know that at times I will face criticism for keeping your Word and choosing Your Way over that of the world but I have made my choice to turn from worthless things and I just long for more of You! May Your righteous Spirit in me be evident to all!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.
‭‭