86. How Do You View God's Word?

If you want to know what God is like, the best way is to read His Word the Bible. The very thoughts and character of God is revealed to us as we read —it is a very accurate revelation of who He is. However, despite its accuracy, there is always more to God than what we even receive from His Word! We need to spend time with Him and ask that He continue to reveal himself to us. What we will discover is the consistency of His character and His great faithfulness!

If we were to judge a friend's faithfulness, we would most likely see if their words and actions matched. The Psalmist could conclude that indeed God's words and actions were and are always consistent, showing Him to be very trustworthy!

"You are righteous, Lord,
and your laws are right.
The statutes you have laid down are righteous;
they are fully trustworthy.
My zeal wears me out,
for my enemies ignore your words.
Your promises have been thoroughly tested,
and your servant loves them.
Though I am lowly and despised,
I do not forget your precepts.
Your righteousness is everlasting
and your law is true.
Trouble and distress have come upon me,
but your commands give me delight.
Your statutes are always righteous;
give me understanding that I may live."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭119:137-144‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Have you noticed that difficult times make you spend more time in the Word of God? We seek comfort and peace and sometimes we are searching for answers. In this passage, we see that the more the Psalmist's enemies rejected the Word of God, the more he was determined to be filled with zeal for those words! He had an amazing determination to make sure that he honoured the Word of God even if other people didn't!

You couldn't say the Psalmist just sat back and passively admired the Word —he responded actively, testing promises and remembering precepts despite the difficulties he encountered. How active is your interaction with the Word?

Despite ongoing difficulties in his life, the Psalmist still found great delight in God's Word, His commands. His appreciation for God and His Word was not only there in good times, but also in trouble and distress!

As we read these last verses, it would be easy to assume that what the Psalmist needed in order to go on living, was deliverance from his trouble and distress. However, we see he found understanding of God's Word even more crucial! The Psalmist knew that the righteousness of God's Word is everlasting. Knowing the eternal nature of the Word of God, made it all the more important and relevant to him!

How do you view God's Word? Do you see it as the true, accurate Word of God Himself? Consider how this impacts on your day to day life. Does the Word bring you delight even in the midst of trouble? Do you rely on it to bring you life? Actively seek understanding, knowing it will bring you greater delight and free you from the burden of any difficulties that arise today!

Pray:

Heavenly Father,

Thank You for Your amazing Word which speaks to me each and every day! I am so blessed to have it and I don't want to take it for granted! Just as the Psalmist, I know that Your Word is righteous and fully trustworthy! For centuries, people have tested out Your promises and found them to be true. I love them all and hold onto them with great delight!

Help me to keep on seeking You each day as I open Your Word —I know I will consistently see that You are righteous and holy, just and true to Your Word. Give me greater understanding as I press into Your Word in times of difficulty or trouble. Thank You that I can always trust You —I am so grateful for the life that You bring me!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.