Chapter 37

I want to dedicate this chapter to the very supportive readers who comment and vote. I love you all, and I want you to know how much that means to me :) <3

I go home with Grant from school as usual. It's Friday, so at least that's something to be happy about. After a day like today happiness is few and far in between. I can't believe Mandy thinks I wrote Justin that note.

"Are we going to my house or yours?" I ask Grant, distractedly.

He grins. "Neither."

I make sure that he sees how unhappy I am with his vague answer. He knows I hate surprises, and that I want him to elaborate.

He ignores me, and keeps driving.

The futher we drive, the more confused I become. It was absolutely nothing around us. When the car finally stops we are in the middle of nowhere.

I stare at Grant questioningly. This type of situation never ends well in the movies.

"Why are you looking at me like I'm about to kill you?" He asks chuckling.

"Why did you take me to the middle of nowhere?" I ask, answering his question with my own.

"I come here when I need to think, and I thought it might help you." He says thoughtfully.

I immediately feel silly for jumping to extreme conclusions. "Thank you." I say. I could actually use a nice thinking place right now..

He nods his head.

I observe my surroundings. It was not an extremely beautiful place, but it was quiet and remote. To be honest it was just a big field miles from the city. The land was flat, and there were few trees, so you could see miles away. I don't see any signs of people. Weird.

Grant gets out the car. "I think I have a blanket or something in the trunk we can sit on."

I follow suit, and sit on the blanket when he lays it out.

Ripping a piece of grass out of the ground, I split it into two pieces. Twisting them in to a ball.

"Christen talk to me." Grant says firmly.

I turn to him. "I'm talking now." I say in a dull tone of voice.

He rolls his eyes. "I mean about what's going on."

I sigh. "Where do I even begin?" I ask a little hysterically. "Things are just so messed up."

"My best friend thinks I betrayed her, and she never wants to talk to me again." I finish in a rush, gnawing on my lip. It sounds so much worse when I say it out loud.

Grant looks like he wants nothing more than to make me feel better. "New idea, how about we just talk about something else. Like the fact I despise when people eat ham, and then drink milk afterwards. It's degrading to animals."

Surprisingly that nonsensical topic makes me laugh. "Shut up." I say hitting his arm.

For a moment I forgot about everything, but just for a moment. Then the memories of my misery come floating back to me.

"I hate when things make you stop smiling." Grant says, creasing his eyebrows together.

That makes me pause my thoughts, and look at him. "Sorry." I mumble.

I squeeze my teeth together, in a forced smile. I'm pretty sure it is unsightly, but maybe it will do.

Grant smirks. "Never mind, you can stop smiling."

I laugh again. "What if I told you, you were actually making me feel better?" I ask.

"I would say, that's a big accomplishment. Taking into account the mood you're in." He says, throwing rocks out into the field.