Chapter 34

"This dress is too trashy for a gala. I can't believe I fell for this." I murmur to myself, pulling down the dress I was wearing.

Grant's mom gave it to me , because I didn't have anything else to wear to the gala she invited me to at such late notice. To say I was shocked was an understatement, because I was under the impression she hated my guts. Which I'm now pretty sure she still does. I'm know she gave me this dress to embarrass me.

The dress was too short and way too tight. When I started to protest, Mrs. Smith assured me it was top quality, and everyone would be dressed similarly. I trusted her and went with it. I'm obviously an idiot, because I believed that lie. And I should have known it was a lie when she came downstairs in an elegant gown. Instead I stayed in the trampy dress, and went to the gala completely clueless. I knew I stood out immediately after I got there. People stared at me weird, pointed at me, and laughed. I didn't stay to access their reactions further. Needless to say I'm currently hiding in the bathroom.

I can't believe she would stoop this low. Why did she have to invite me in the first place? It was probably so she could make a fool out of me, and show everyone I wasn't good enough for her son.

I continue to force the dress down as far as it will go, but that only exposed me more at the top. This wasn't me, I never would dress like this. How could I be so stupid, and allow Mrs. Smith to tell me this looked ok. I was trying to fit in, and just made everything so much worse.

The worst part is Grant actually liked this look. As soon as he came downstairs, he applauded my obnoxious ensemble. Although he looked a little uncomfortable with at first, he quickly adjusted. He said something along the lines of "Can you wear that everyday?". How could he be so oblivious to the fact his mother did this to me on purpose?

I awkwardly shift my position against the stall door, and look at my phone. I've been in the bathroom for almost an hour. I wish my parents could come and get me, but they're both at meetings. I really don't want to bother Grant, because he should spend time with his family.

I think about last night with Durk's and his family. A night that I thought was going to be a total nightmare turned out to be the best night ever. My mom became great friends with Durk's mom, and my Dad did the same with Mr. Durk. They invited us back next week, and things are going very well.

"Christen?" Someone says loudly through the bathroom door. I instantly recognize Grant's voice.

"What do you want?" I say, not meaning to sound so rude.

"I want you to come out here, and suffer through this dreadful event with me." He says.

"You got through it for an hour without me, you can last three more." I say. He doesn't need me out there to suffer with him. I suffered enough just walking through the door.

"You're seriously going to stay in there for three hours?" Grant asks in disbelief.

I heave out a sigh. "That's the plan."

"What are you so self-conscious about, I don't get it." He says.

I scrunch up my face at the fact I have to explain it. "For starters, the dress could fit a large toddler. When I try to pull it down it, my boobs fly out. And when I try to pull it up, you can see right under it." I say.

"So why did you wear it if you hated it so much?" He asks.

I bite my tongue. I won't tell him that his mom tricked me, and told me every one would be wearing dresses similar to mine. I don't want to start any problems. I just want to go home, and get out of this dress.

"I didn't have anything else to wear, and this all your mom had." I say, which is kind of true.

"Then that's your fault. But I personally love it." Grant states, and I roll my eyes.