Chapter 22

When Justin and I get to school on Monday, Courtney drags me to the girls bathroom.

"Courtney what are you doing?" I ask her.

"Covering up your black...err yellow eye." She says, pulling out her makeup.

"Why?"

"Because today's a brand new day for you, and you should look and feel your best." She says.

I smile. "Thanks Court."

When she's all done I look in the mirror. The black eye is completely covered, and so are the bruises on my cheek. I guess it's less things I have to worry about.

Courtney let's me keep the makeup, and she spends 10 minutes instructing me on how to apply it.

I really have the greatest friends, praise GOD.

When we are leaving the bathroom, Samantha comes in.

She smiles wickedly at me. "I told you I would get my man back."

I just stand there and wait for her to finish.

"Because you're now single and pathetic, I think you deserve an update. Grant and I have been getting along great! It's like we're falling in love all over again." She says, sighing happily. "We are such a loving family now, thanks to you breaking up with him." Samantha sneers. She pulls out her phone, and walks in a stall.

Why does she think I broke up with Grant? He broke up with me!

I start to walk out of the bathroom, but Courtney gestures for me to stay.

"Why are..."

"Shhhh." Courtney hisses.

"Hi you ignorant mongrel." Samantha says to someone over the phone.

Why does she treat people so meanly?

"Did you perform your task?" She asks.

It was silent as she listened to the person on the other end of the line.

"Good. Remember I'm paying you big money for this, so you better not screw up."

There was more silence.

"Whatever. Goodbye mongrel." Samantha says rudely. She unlocks the stall, and Courtney and I walk out the bathroom quickly.

"What do you think that was about?" I ask her.

"I don't know, but that girl is bad news." She says.

As we head off to our separate classes, I think about how I couldn't agree with Courtney more. Samantha is bad news.

So far the day was uneventful. No one bothered me, or called me any ridiculous names. People weren't exactly friendly, but they weren't nasty either. It was like everyone just ignored me, almost as if I never existed. And to be honest, I am completely fine with that.

I am currently sitting in Global issues. We have to do a project, and the teacher is assigning us partners.

"Louis Parker and Maria Baton. Katelin Franks and Allison Goodall." Mrs. Roland says.

I hope I get Grace as my partner, she's in this class.

"Grant Smith and Christen Miller."

Well, that's not Grace. I hear a loud groan from the back of the classroom.

"Of course she would be my partner." Grant says meanly.

Some of the class starts to laugh.

A guy turns around and says, "It's ok man."