Chapter 44

"Hold up! He did what!?" I exclaimed, heart began racing as I poked out my head from the newspaper. Chace seemed to be in a bit of a shock as well. Allan on the other hand, looked indifferent as if he already knew about it.

"He quitted yesterday." Victor replied, his gaze wandered off into the distance with despair.

I was about to get angry for not letting me know sooner but seeing him so disheartened about Sam's absence held me back. It was wrong of me to think I'm the only person allowed to be upset. Victor and Chace have known Sam ever since they were young. I can't imagine how dolorous they must be feeling right now especially Victor for losing a close friend and a faithful worker.

It made me think, is it my fault that he left? Is it because I rejected his confession? What was I supposed to do then? Forcing myself to accept his confession means I'm slowly hurting him. I thought I did the right thing, didn't I? Why do I feel like it's my fault that everything turned out this way? This feeling is so suffocating, I could cry until I pass out.

"Did you even ask him why he wanted to quit? You didn't just sign the resignation letter and let him go, did you?" Chace asked, his voice sounded bitter.

"Of course I asked! He said he has plans to pursue a better life. I'm not a heartless monster who crush people's dreams and ambitions so I wished him luck and signed the letter." Victor responded, staring down at the very hands that picked up a pen and signed the letter.

Is that really the reason that made him quit? Should I feel relieve? Everyone looked so dispirited, it made me want to cry. Sam, did you hate me that much? You left without giving me a word. I regret not getting a good look at your beautiful and gentle face one last time.

"I understand where he's coming from. You've been trapping him inside this prison of a mansion pretty much his entire life. Of course he'd wanna escape to a better place. Oh my precious baby boy! You could've just come to me. I'd be more than glad to take you in." Chace announced, placing his hand on his chest.

"Take him in and make him live inside your crammed ice cream truck? I doubt he'd prefer that over my glorious mansion. Besides, don't get ahead of yourself, Chace. I've never once treated him badly and he said it himself that he wants to repay my father for taking him in." Victor replied, looking a little irritated by Chace's statement.

Is this really the time to be bickering about who's better than who? My heart hurt so much. God, I miss Sam already. I don't think I can hold back tears anymore.

"Crystal, are you okay? Why are you sitting so still?" Allan asked, moving his palm in front of my face multiple times. Victor and Chace turned their attention to me now that they heard Allan talked.

"Now that Sam is gone, the mansion is gonna be even more empty....." I broke into tears, speaking in a trembly, hard to understand voice. "Who's gonna brew black tea in the morning? Who's gonna keep the mansion clean? Who's gonna open the gate for me everyday? Who's gonna be my partner in another rescue mission? Who's gonna-?"

"Crystal.....your master is going to hire a new worker. D-Don't be so sad." Chace cut me off, sounding nervous.

"Shut up, Chace. You know that's not what she meant." Victor told him off.

"I know....I was just trying to cheer her up...." Chace mumbled.

Victor moved to kneel down in front of me. He took the newspaper away from my hand to get a good look at my face that is now red from sobbing. I tried to bring my teary eyes to look at him but everything was a blur.

He sighed. "Why are you crying like you'll never see him again? I'm sure he won't go far. We have all his contact information and data. Even if he changed it and get a new identity, I will hire people to search the whole country for him. That is if you want to see him that badly.....I'll do anything for you." He spoke softly, wiping my tears away with his thumb.